Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Use PHP 2 format menu link when removing code to its own page & making it an include - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use PHP 2 format menu link when removing code to its own page & making it an include

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deathshadow, what was that called when someone refutes an argument with something that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual subject? The "Straw Man" argument right?

A straw man (sometimes incorrectly written as strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, meanwhile the proper idea of argument under discussion was not addressed or properly refuted.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

The typical straw man argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition through the covert replacement of it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and the subsequent refutation of that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the opponent's proposition.
    To save time, lets just assume I am almost never wrong.

The XY Problem
    The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution (X) rather than your actual problem (Y). This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

Make A Donation https://www.paypal.me/KevinRubio

Comment

Originally posted by judgedredd View Post
      JOhn_Betong & benanamen,
      I will not get into ANY discussions about this topic from here on. deathshadow has spent 4 decades coding and is due respect when he posts what he does..
      The computer program I will never forget was written in 1965! It was to calculate how far from a wall a forty foot ladder would stretch if it was touching a six foot square box:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cf-ladder-box.png
Views:	16
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2424898

For what it is worth program was first hand-written and submitted to a secretary. She converted the script to punch cards which were slotted into to a main frame!

Unfortunately the program got into an endless loop and the dot-matrix printer churned out umpteen sheets of paper before someone rebooted the main frame! The professor showed the rolled-up printer output in the class which was like a roll of wall-paper!

Comment

Originally posted by JOhn_Betong View Post
        She converted the script to punch cards which were slotted into to a main frame!
        Punch card readers were such a luxury. Sucked hand assembling machine language then entering it one bit at a time on toggle switches.

judgedredd, don't make assumptions about how long anyone here has been at it.
        Last edited by deathshadow; Jul 30, 2020, 02:15 PM.
        I'll kill you and your dreams tonight, begin new life.
        Bleed your death upon me, let your bloodline feed my youth.
        https://cutcodedown.com

Comment

deathshadow, I said that because you yourself mentioned it (about coding for 40 years)..... I wouldn't have said it otherwise.
          EDIT: You said it in post 22.
          Last edited by judgedredd; Jul 30, 2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by judgedredd View Post
            deathshadow, I said that because you yourself mentioned it (about coding for 40 years)..... I wouldn't have said it otherwise.
            EDIT: You said it in post 22.
            NOT what I meant. What I meant was don't go guessing what JOhn_Betong or benanamen have for experience, which is basically what you did in post 45 of this thread.

And really what benanamen said is why you should probably investigate better hosting AND deep six your entire current site. Particularly with all those illegal bootlegs of software on display. You're not WinWorldPC behind a half dozen proxies and operating out of copyright shelters.

'Cause honestly what he found web-facing on your domain is HORRIFYING.
            I'll kill you and your dreams tonight, begin new life.
            Bleed your death upon me, let your bloodline feed my youth.
            https://cutcodedown.com

Comment

Working...
            X