Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter limiting characters in textarea without php/javascript - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

limiting characters in textarea without php/javascript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limiting characters in textarea without php/javascript

hi,

i want to create a textarea in which the user can input 100 characters only.he canot able to input more than 100.i want to do this with out using php/javascript.is it possible.your help will be appreciated

thanks

mrjameer

Only other possibility would be Flash.

You could check the length with PHP, but only after the
    form was submitted, which would be too late.

Comment

The best you can do without any scripting is maxlength="100" inside the open textarea tag though someone can change that easily if they wanted to.
      ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

"maxlength" doesn't work on <textarea> tags, only <input type="text"> tags.

Here's a Javascript one I use... you did say you wanted to avoid using Javascript but I don't think there's any way to do that.
        Code:
        <textarea name="addNewsBox" class="areaentry" onkeydown="return maxChars(this, 2000);"><?php echo $_POST['addNewsBox']; ?></textarea><br />
        <div id="countDisp">&nbsp;</div> 

<script type="text/javascript">

function maxChars(ta, count) {
        	document.getElementById('countDisp').innerHTML = 'Character count: ' + ta.value.length;
        	if (ta.value.length >= count) {
        		ta.value = ta.value.substring(0, (count - 1));
        		document.getElementById('countDisp').innerHTML = 'Maximumum character count reached!';
        	} else {
        		document.getElementById('countDisp').innerHTML = 'Character count: ' + ta.value.length + ' out of ' + count;
        	}

return (ta.value.length < count);
        }
        </script>

Comment

hi fumigator,

i already tested your code but it is not counting the first character which i entered in textarea it is counting from second character.

thanks
          mrjameer

Comment

It's zero based

Comment

Working...
            X