Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Can I populate a sequenced array with data from an associative array using a loop? - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I populate a sequenced array with data from an associative array using a loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I populate a sequenced array with data from an associative array using a loop?

I have an html form that passes infomation from fifteen sets of eight text inputs using the POST method. I separated the data in the associative array, $_POST, into eight sequenced arrays manually. The code below shows one of these arrays being populated:
    PHP Code:
    $arr_dsh[0] = $_POST["dsh_01"];
    $arr_dsh[1] = $_POST["dsh_02"];
    $arr_dsh[2] = $_POST["dsh_03"];
    $arr_dsh[3] = $_POST["dsh_04"];
    $arr_dsh[4] = $_POST["dsh_05"];
    $arr_dsh[5] = $_POST["dsh_06"];
    $arr_dsh[6] = $_POST["dsh_07"];
    $arr_dsh[7] = $_POST["dsh_08"];
    $arr_dsh[8] = $_POST["dsh_09"];
    $arr_dsh[9] = $_POST["dsh_10"];
    $arr_dsh[10] = $_POST["dsh_11"];
    $arr_dsh[11] = $_POST["dsh_12"];
    $arr_dsh[12] = $_POST["dsh_13"];
    $arr_dsh[13] = $_POST["dsh_14"];
    $arr_dsh[14] = $_POST["dsh_15"]; 
    The data from these arrays are then passed to a function, one element at a time using a while loop:
    PHP Code:
    $c 0;
    while (
    $c <= 14) {

$gross_prod $gross_prod calc_gross($arr_dsh[$c], $arr_deh[$c], $arr_dem[$c], $arr_dsm[$c], $arr_leh[$c], $arr_lem[$c], $arr_lsh[$c], $arr_lsm[$c]);

$c++;
        } 
    Is it possible to populate the array, $arr_dsh, using a loop? As it stands, I have more than 100 lines of code just fleshing out the arrays.

tia.
    Last edited by golgotha; Sep 25, 2006, 10:32 AM.

Try this one.
    PHP Code:
    for ($i=0$j=1$i<count($_POST); $i++, j++)  {

$n=sprintf("%02s"$j);

$arr_dsh[$i] = $_POST[dsh_$n];

Ronald
    RTFM is an almost extinct art form, it should be subsidized.

Comment

In Ronverdonk's example you'll want to put the string part of the index name in quotes and concantenate the string with the variable.

$_POST['dsh_'.$n];

But you may be better off in the long run using an array on your form elements instead of naming them dsh_1, dsh_2, etc.

PHP Code:
      <input type="text" name="dsh[]">

<?php
      //When form is submitted, $_POST will contain an array of the dsh[] values
      echo $_POST[dsh][0];
      echo 
      $_POST[dsh][1];
      echo 
      $_POST[dsh][2];
      ?>

Comment

PHP allows you to "push" a new item onto an array without knowing the index:

Code:
        $indexedArray = array();
        foreach ($associativeArray AS $key=>$value)
        {
          $indexedArray[] = $value;
        }

Comment

if you're going to assume the associative array is ordered properly, you can just use the array_values function
          http://php.net/array-values
          My thoughts on some things: http://codemeetsmusic.com
          And my scrapbook of cool things: http://gjones.tumblr.com

Comment

some good ideas here. it will take me some time to experiment with each of them, and find the best solution.
            I coded the html and wrote the main function. I was staring at all the repetitive information and I said to myself: I bet a loop would work here.

This is all very new to me, but i'm having fun putting all the pieces together. Once I get form and array handling under control, I think the next step is a database to collect the input and store it for later use.

this is a big help. thanks

Comment

Working...
            X