PHP for Browser-Based FTP login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP for Browser-Based FTP login

I simply want to allow users access FTP access through a browser.

However, I'm using a hosting company with cPanel and in order to set up an FTP account that only gives access to a specific subfolder on my account, a username is generated with an "@" in it. (ex. [email protected]).

This makes it impossible for to just enter the info into the address bar (in the form of ftp://[email protected]@www.mydomain.com) because once the browser sees that first "@" sign, everything goes to heck...

I've tried to just get the browser to prompt the user for the login info - which it does just fine everywhere I've tried it - but my client's computer is not doing it. I don't like telling clients to change setting on their machines, or install software (like FTP clients), because then I become tech support instead of just a web developer. I don't like the associated liability...

Sooo - what I want to be able to do to solve all these problems is create a simple form that collects the server, username, and password; processes the info with PHP; BUT THEN just directs them into their FTP folder via the browser.

What I'm finding is that everyone who has developed a PHP FTP login script has also developed some convoluted interface to go with it and they're either way too complicated for my needs, or they simply don't work.

All I want to be able to do is allow users to input their username - with an "@" in it - and password, and then see the same thing that someone would see using the simple ftp://user[email protected] method.

I'm going nuts. Can it even be done?
    Last edited by jakerbug; Sep 24, 2006, 03:45 PM.

The HTML form:
    Code:
    <html><body>
    <form method="post" action="ftplogin.php">
    Server: <input type="text" name="server">
    Username: <input type="text" name="username">
    Password: <input type="password" name="password">
    <input type="submit" value="submit">
    </form>
    </body></html>
    The ftplogin.php page
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $username 
    $_POST['username'];
    $server $_POST['server'];
    $password $_POST['password'];
    $location "ftp://$username@$server:$password@www.$server";
    header("Location: $location");
    ?>
    Web Programming Tutorial
    Python Web Programming Tutorial
    Programming Tutorial for absolute beginners

Comment

that's returning a "cannot find server" error page.

any ideas?

Comment

it looks like this method is just passing the "[email protected][email protected]" thing to the browser using PHP. Essentially, it runs into the same problem as just typing that into the address bar...

Comment

If that is the case then try to urlencode():
          PHP Code:
          $location "ftp://" urlencode("$username@$server") . ":$password@www.$server"
          Web Programming Tutorial
          Python Web Programming Tutorial
          Programming Tutorial for absolute beginners

Comment

works like a charm! thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
            X