How do I use PHP with FrontPage 2002?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I use PHP with FrontPage 2002?

A search of the archives did not reveal much useful information.
    I am looking for a simple, plain-English explanation about how to incorporate PHP with FrontPage 2002. I have read enough to know that FP does not work well with PHP. However, I understand a tool called PHPRocket helps integrate PHP with FP.
    If anyone can explain that process, I would appreciate it.
    I am working on a community neighborhood website in which I want to inlcude a simple PHP based bulletin board. I may also want to eventually include a PHP calendar. I am at a loss as to the steps needed to implement PHP and PHPRocket in FP. It would be great if anyone knows and is willing to share that step-by-step information. I am not a web design professional, just a hobbyist using FP and I am not interested in switching to other web design programs. My research shows PHP can be used with FP, but I simply have not found the basic mechanics of how to do that. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Jasp - A couple of things....

If you are simply looking to have a BB and other basic things done in php, why don't you simply use pre-made apps such as the vastly superior phpBB (www.phpbb.com) for forums which also has other template for calendars and such.

Secondly, if you're forcing yourself for some reason to make your own (which is the only reason you'd need to use php in FP I'd ask what do you mean by "use" php in FP.

If you have a given webpage you can type the html and php into FP yourself. Or you can visually create the html in the visual portion of FP and then simply write the php into the wanted areas.

Again, first specify why you won't be using an already made BB?

Thanks!

Comment

MysteryMan,
      Thanks for your response.
      My intent is to use a couple of pre-made PHP apps, one for a simple bulletin board, the other for a simple calendar.
      The problem is I don't understand what I need to do to incorporate those apps into the FP web. (It is not published yet as I'm still working on it.)
      From what I've read in my many searches, PHP code cannot simply be made in FP.
      Do I have to install PHP on my computer in order to use it in FP?
      Do I need to use PHP Rocket with FP?
      I just don't understand the process.
      Thanks again!

Comment

I would advise you to stay well away from php if you're using FP. FP changes tags and coding, which you don't want. If you don't want to install another program, just use notepad. It's safe and reliable.

If you're only wanting to edit some variables in a php script, then there's no need to download php.

Comment

I think what he means is that He wants to incorperate the PHP script into his frontpage web folder. (FP has alleged "features" for helping you make a website)

But I agree with nightfire, you wont get it working in frontpage, scrap it and use notepad.
          PHP Weekly - A PHP Developers Resource
          PHP 5.1.4 and Ruby on Rails web hosting
          Moderator of PHP and Work offers and Requests
          Install Apache/PHP/MySQL
          (by marek_mar) | TinyPlugin Architecture

Comment

I'll try to clarify what I want to do.
            I am using FP 2002 to design a community website.
            As part of that website, I want a bulletin board, and perhaps, a calendar. (I have located and dowloaded the php scripts/programs for those 2 features.)
            What do I have to do to to make those features part of the FP website? Do I have to open the scripts in notepad and then transfer them to the html page?
            Or is there another method, procedure, process for making the php script part of the web page?
            For example, once I create my bulletin board page, how do I apply/install the php script to create the actual bulletin board?
            I think I understand that you don't simply dump the php script into the html.
            Obviously, I don't under the process and that's where I need help. Thanks again!

Comment

i dont know of any builliten boards that allow you to design a page and then add the builliten board functionality. Usually the template system is part of the system itself, and you would need to install the builliten board on your server before you could change what it looks like.
              Install Apache/PHP/MySQL

Comment

Originally posted by jaspenn
                I'll try to clarify what I want to do.
                I am using FP 2002 to design a community website.
                As part of that website, I want a bulletin board, and perhaps, a calendar. (I have located and dowloaded the php scripts/programs for those 2 features.)
                What do I have to do to to make those features part of the FP website? Do I have to open the scripts in notepad and then transfer them to the html page?
                Or is there another method, procedure, process for making the php script part of the web page?
                For example, once I create my bulletin board page, how do I apply/install the php script to create the actual bulletin board?
                I think I understand that you don't simply dump the php script into the html.
                Obviously, I don't under the process and that's where I need help. Thanks again!
                No need to make these php scripts as part of the FP website...

Just download the PHP app (phpBB etc) and unzipped it to a folder within your website and upload them using ftp manager (or frontpage, don't know if that will do) and install it & configure it within your host online. All you need to add a link (to php apps) on your frontpage html files. You can change the colour scheme of php app to match your site. Does that helps? It's what I always do.

Comment

Further clarification...
                  I am using "page includes" for my header and nav bar in my web site.
                  What I would like to do is set up a page with the header and nav bar includes, and then add the php feature to the empty portion (table) of the page.
                  Is that possible?
                  What are the steps?
                  Thank you.

Comment

The chances are that that won't work. The forum software will come with templates, all you'd need to do is simply edit these templates to your header and footer style, or hack the template to make it use include()

Comment

php

Personally... try to keep your cool, caz sometimes it's really hard for programmers to clarrify some things im my oppinion. anyways i'll see if i can help

hm. k, you want a fp site... and you want a calander, and bulletin board... 1st

you should download php bulletin board from http://phpbb.com and then upload it to your site via ftp... you should consult the installation files of the php script you downloaded, same thing with the calander, check the readme on the site or in the file where you got your callendar script.

there's a site called http://www.hotscripts.com which might prove usefull, and in order to incorperate the forum into your format, you'll have to have their format in your fomat, which you'd likly like to use an iframe google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...UTF-8&q=iframe

Good luck, but personally.... i've never heard of anyone trying to write php in fp... it's just... very uncommon via level wise

ohh and ps: (you'll need a mysql database as well as obviously php support on your website if you don't have a host you might choose http://hostonce.com or http://1and1.com )

Best Regards

- Loren

Comment

1&1 are nasty, stay far far far away from them

Comment

Re: php

Originally posted by loren

ohh and ps: (you'll need a mysql database as well as obviously php support on your website if you don't have a host you might choose http://hostonce.com or http://1and1.com )
                          If you are a non profit organisation (i.e: You dont make profit from your site or advertising on your site), you may want to consider http://www.ithium.net, which is free for non profit organisations.

If you arent a non profit organisation ithium will still be good as the prices for paid hosting are also very low, starting at just $10 a year i believe.

It hasnt been updated in a while and the links arent done yet, so you will have to scroll to the bottom of the page, and then click his name to send him an e-mail.
                          Install Apache/PHP/MySQL

Comment

Working...
                          X