Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpCreations....

Hey.

You know how phpBB forum design (obviously) uses the php name in it's creation, versus just some design that states it's powered by php...

What's the etiquette behind doing something like that? What if something was made for a particular companies interest, but the coding structure behind it was also offered as a template for others.

Is the rule that it must be open source? And what are some other popular creations that use the php name?

Thanks guys - wanted to find out more about that. I've been reading php.com to find out more..

regarding the previous column I made about something I'm interested in, I was thinking that perhaps the background could be of interest to others - it could be used for other purposes too - so I want to find out the etiquette on that.

I'd say it's no problem. Whether you name your applicaton phpBonzo or phpBanana, no one cares. PHP is not trademarked, as far as I am aware. But naming your application like this suggests a strong relationship to PHP, and is usually taken that the app is coded in PHP. If you'd later decide that PHP does not fit your current needs anymore, and you want to rewrite... hm, the name would need to change too.

The most famous application that has php in it's name is certainly phpMyAdmin.

BTW: Unless you are a parent, I don't know how reading php.com could help you...
    De gustibus non est disputandum.

Comment

heh, http://php.net

Comment

.net

yeah

oops

I actually went to php.com once by accident.

Isn't there some sort of rule that the php needs to be open source or something?

Yeah phpMyAdmin I use as well, although not too much.

I just thought that, regarding my earlier interest and needed help from someone, that if they could also use what they make as a popular template for others, this would motivate someone, or perhaps a group of people, like with phpBB.

Comment

i believe you are all wrong infact - as far as im aware the latest php liscence restricts people using php in the name of a php powered product or service without written consent from php developers.

For example you cannot call something 'phpFoo' - it must be called 'Foo powered by php' or something like that unless you have express permission from the PHP group

Sections 3 and 4 of the PHP license
          http://www.php.net/license/3_0.txt

3. The name "PHP" must not be used to endorse or promote products
          derived from this software without prior written permission. For
          written permission, please contact [email protected].

4. Products derived from this software may not be called "PHP", nor
          may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written permission
          from [email protected]. You may indicate that your software works in
          conjunction with PHP by saying "Foo for PHP" instead of calling
          it "PHP Foo" or "phpfoo"
          So in conclusion, you cannot use that name - Mordred: people do care

Comment

Speed - Thanks, I thought I recalled such a thing.

I mean, I would think there would be problems if I made a videogame for windows called WindowsFIGHTER or something.

I will read the rest of the sections and see. And find out form them about how strict the written consent is.

I also thought that you have to have open source (and possibly no charge) in order to do so....

Comment

SpeedFreak, I am wrong on the "care" part, and stand corrected. But you still can name your app something with PHP in front, even if that's not especially liked by the PHP folks:

Q. I've written a project in PHP that I'm going to release as open source, and I'd like to call it PHPTransmogrifier. Is that OK?

A. We cannot really stop you from using PHP in the name of your project unless you include any code from the PHP distribution, in which case you would be violating the license. But we would really prefer if people would come up with their own names independent of the PHP name.

Why you ask? You are only trying to contribute to the PHP community. That may be true, but by using the PHP name you are explicitly linking your efforts to those of the entire PHP development community and the years of work that has gone into the PHP project. Every time a flaw is found in one of the thousands of applications out there that call themselves "PHP-Something" the negative karma that generates reflects unfairly on the entire PHP project. We had nothing to do with PHP-Nuke, for example, and every bugtraq posting on that says "PHP" in it. Your particular project may in fact be the greatest thing ever, but we have to be consistent in how we handle these requests and we honestly have no way of knowing whether your project is actually the greatest thing ever.

So, please, pick a name that stands on its own merits. If your stuff is good, it will not take long to establish a reputation for yourselves. Look at Zope, for example, that is a framework for Python that doesn't have Python in the name. Smarty as well doesn't have PHP in the name and does quite well.
              Source: http://www.php.net/license/ (first question)

The catch is if you code your app in PHP, or you ship it with the PHP distribution included or derive your app from it.

Comment

Mordred - I saw that too.

The two statements appear to contradict themself.

I won't be using the term php in my idea anyhow.

The template would merely be essentially two things

1. user profile with a vast amount of values and a special display page of a users information

2. a system by which specifications are search for in all profiles and results of matches are displayed.

So one could, if they offered the thing merely as a template, let users implement all there own profile information, with values, and then set up an html system for displaying results.

That's the basics, removing anything having to do with the type of system and reason........

Now all I need is someone to make what I have on paper

I do not know anyone who does php - which seems like something anyone wishing to code for work should probably know these days.........

Comment

Well, if you came to the conclusion that you won't use "PHP" in your brand name, this issue seems to be resolved by now.

Anyway, I think you've got your terminology slightly wrong. A template is usually quite a dumb thing: It should only have presentation logic, like what elements should appear where in a user interface/HTML document. Most of the time you just have some markers to place somwhere in your template file that indicate where certain content should displayed.

But what you want is a working user profile script, or am I wrong here? Then better call it a script. Especially if it has a special search functionality - that's applicaton/business logic, the process of conducting a search through all user profiles is not something you'd put into a template. So if you want someone to code it for you, make a request for a "script" instead. Just a tip from a pedantic.

Comment

Ok - Then I have a request for a script

I was talking about two different things, one script made with specific variables for a website I am working on, and the same script with no set variables + the ability for the admin to create variables.

One could make the first for me, and work towards making the second for an open-source release - I'm positive it would be popular as it's a root concept

Script request, DING DING! I have the entire thing mapped out. Anyone interested?

I wish I knew phpERS in real life I could use a scripting buddy.

Comment

Try http://www.hotscripts.com they have 100s of php scripts, some free and some you pay for.

In my case I was interested in a php image gallery and hotscripts.com has over 200 php image galleries posted.

Leonard Whistler
                      http://www.stubby.ca
                      Leonard Whistler

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryMan
                        1. user profile with a vast amount of values and a special display page of a users information

2. a system by which specifications are search for in all profiles and results of matches are displayed.

So one could, if they offered the thing merely as a template, let users implement all there own profile information, with values, and then set up an html system for displaying results.

That's the basics, removing anything having to do with the type of system and reason........

Now all I need is someone to make what I have on paper
                        Seams like you actually need
                        - a datalayer --> db or flatfile where each profile-feature is treated as a column and each profile as a row (a vector)
                        - matchintool that compaires all vectors with the searchvector and computes a weighted similarity for each vector by computing a proximity measure between searchvector and all stored vectors, and then outputs the X most related --> you probably should not use PHP for this, but J2EE or SAS or so
                        - an applicationlayer that processes the returned rows(profile) and wraps some html arround them --> your application could be written in PHP, that injects the returned rows in your template
                        (but it could be smarter to send them out as an XML file ...)

The datalayer is about the simplest db-structure you can think of, so that wount be a problem.
                        The applications is so standard that you don't even need to know PHP for it. There are so many classes that transform a recordset and a templatefile into a webpage, that you don't even need to know PHP for it
                        So the only tricky part is the matchingtool, but that's more math and stats then coding. Which algoritme you need to compute the proximity depends on what sort of data that you use, what logical matchingrules should be applied, if their should be a feedbackloop to have a self-learning tool etc.

Not that dificult if you have some knowledge about data-analysis and neural nets.
                        Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Working...
                        X