This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developer needed - paid on royalty/commission

I am looking for someone who is quick with scripting, as well as knowledgable on obtaining (and altering) existing popular scripts.

I need someone who can confidentially create some very simple (on scripting terms, for someone with experience) necessary elements for startup website for my company.

I believe php meets my needs, unsure if it does completely.

Payment will be done on percentage made from the site.....

where do you live? what's involved? just standard database driven website stuff? which popular scripts, any in particular?
    php & asp tutorials - the birthplace - biorust - photoshop and web technologies

Comment

What I will say now is probably off-topic, but I'll do it anyway.

Your offer is absolutely unfair towards the programmer you "hire". Let's have a closer look at it: You have a business idea how to gain some revenue from a website. But you ain't absolutely sure it will turn out 100% as expected, there's always some risk involved. Competitors being faster than you, shifting market demands... whatever. Anyway, you think the application will bring you some revenue. So it has a certain value for you. And that's why you should pay the programmer who implements your ideas!

With your current offer, you are shifting all business risk to the programmer. If he invests 20 hours of scripting and your business does not run as expected - royalties will be low. If you decide to stop the development in mid-process because your priorities have changed, the progammer gets nothing. In both cases, you have low to no expenses for development, for the programmer it's unsure all the time how his investement in time, effort and research will turn out.
      Take a car manufacturer as an example: Do you really think they could stay in business if they'd pay their workers a royalty depending on how many cars are sold? Certainly you don't. No worker would accept this unfair offer. It's your business, so you have to take the risks of investing into software development. And paying the programmer commits you too to complete this project.

If you'd had written that you pay a negotiable base price for hours worked, and extra royalty bonus once the site runs, ok. But as it stands, your offer is neither fair nor professional.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Gotta eat my banana now.
      De gustibus non est disputandum.

Comment

i think mordred is right.

you probably wount make a lot of profit either because i can't think of a popular scripts that doesn't have free implementations, so why would people pay to use your site? And if your's hoping on advertisement, well, the a percentage of (your advertisement-earning - your costs) probably wount be much.
        Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

If anyone wishes to find out more about this possibility, ask here. If you are interested in being involved, you may ask here or contact me.

It's as simple as that. Payment is purely in % royalties, endlessly.

The rant about "how I'll make money" and all this unfounded claims is indeed off-topic. It will make money, end of story. I have no concern about this.

Also, seeing as how I am offering this to any competent programmer, the vast majority of which will never have the skills needed to actually get paid for their work, one should be thankful.

Programmers who get paid on a time basis have degrees and expertise to show. That's called a career.

Anyone who can properly and accurately complete the requirements for this website will get the royalties - I am not interested in your credentials, only competency.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrowler
            where do you live? what's involved? just standard database driven website stuff? which popular scripts, any in particular?
            United States. What's involved is confidential pending some samples of similiar work. Yes, just standard aspects, such things as log-in, dynamic menus (like the mnu oh phpBB for example, element of matching same values across database rows (such as matching people with same birthday for example). and some input values..........

I am not familiar with popular scripts and what's out there. I think any popular scripts existant are probably easy to make. If the person chooses to use them versus making one rom scratch that's ok.

I would extremely prefer if the entire script was open source to me only. I will need it incase later adjustments need to be made.

Comment

ok youve said login systems dynamic menus matching data from db input values (i assume for surveys and records of sales etc)

how do you pay? cheque? bank deposit?

if i knew exactly what i had to do, as in i had instructions of what to do, i might consider it, and also, what % of the profit will i recieve?
              php & asp tutorials - the birthplace - biorust - photoshop and web technologies

Comment

Originally posted by Scrowler
                ok youve said login systems dynamic menus matching data from db input values (i assume for surveys and records of sales etc)

how do you pay? cheque? bank deposit?

if i knew exactly what i had to do, as in i had instructions of what to do, i might consider it, and also, what % of the profit will i recieve?
                input values are for user profiles, much like this forum has things like sigs, avatars, location etc....

Payment is going to be done ONLY by paypal. That way it's simple and I don't need to deal with credit cards and stuff like that. Simply paypal.....

The percentage of profit, upon completion and continued support (but not alteration, only troubleshooting problems) will be high.

I could see it be as much as 40%, certainly no less than 25%.

do you have a website for your work? or any online examples - or offline?

Comment

MysteryMan,
                  While I am quite certain that I have both the competency and the credentials to perform the job(s) you're requesting, I'm not sure that I, like mordred, like the payment scale. I've been burned one too many times by dishonesty in this business. Who is to keep you accountable for paying that percentage of what you actually make? You? Sincere regrets, but when someone named "MysteryMan" tells me he'll pay me some unknown amount for an unknown amount of work and I don't know the first thing about him, well...my radar sends off about a gazillion alerts.

Believe me, I would love to put my coding skills to use for money. Granted, I already do that, as you put it....a career. Yet I enjoy doing side work. I enjoy coding and helping others. Don't take things personal, just understand that I have more than a few reservations. I feel it only right for me to voice my reservations, that others may read my opinions, and (possibly) learn from my experiences.

Oh, and btw,
                  Also, seeing as how I am offering this to any competent programmer, the vast majority of which will never have the skills needed to actually get paid for their work, one should be thankful.
                  one should be thankful? You should be careful with your wording, sir. Indeed I see it as the coder performing a service for you, of which you are in need, not the other way around. Most of the coders here are more than competent, and are here helping others for free.....an indication, I think, that they are not in dire NEED of your employment.

Now, I would like for you to take my opinions and thoughts into consideration. Note that I'm not attacking you personally, just the circumstances and the idea. While mordred's post may seem off-topic, it is entirely important and relevant to those that post questions. Perhaps mordred was considering taking on the work, and merely posted those comments to see how you would respond?

I think you'll see much more positive repsonse if you post your requirements and a better description of the work. Remember that you are approaching us, not vice-versa. Consider this the same as a classified ad in the newspaper- we should have a clue what we're doing and who we're doing it for, before we even need apply. I've noted that you've been somewhat vague, but have answered the questions asked. Perhaps giving more information on a volunteered basis would decrease some of the bad feelings I get when posts like yours come along.

Again, please regard my comments as not personal, but as professional, and strictly as an analytical approach to your offer, the information you've posted, and the manner in which you've made your proposition.

Sincerely,
                  -Celt

Comment

Celt - Gotcha.

I didn't mean it to sound that harsh.

What I meant was that I don't need someone who gets an hourly rate to programm for a business - someone in itheir moms basement is fine so long as they can do what I'm interested in.

The only reason I would not offer an hourly rate is because of the capital would not necessarily be there. I've never taken out capital for any business I've started, and all have a positive net - so I like the idea, and the challenge.

Also, it would be fine with me if the person ran their own website for their scripts, and commanded ownership of the script with open source ability to me only.

The script itself would be valuable - I would imagine.

It's the only way I can offer it, as royalties. Not to mention that the script would recieve ample notification as made by the scripter, and they could gain PR for any site they ran....

I was also a little hesitant to post so much information on the idea. I'm not familiar with doing so. It's nothing unique except in the details.
                    Last edited by MysteryMan; Feb 15, 2004, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Ok , any further discussion on this will have to be via PM or email.

i.e. closing thread

For future reference , anyone wanting to create offers of `paid work` in this forum should note that they may be closed immediately and should therfore expect any contact from interested parties via PM or email.

There may at some time in the future be a specific forum for trading/work offers etc until then we would prefer to keep such threads private.
                      resistance is...

MVC is the current buzz in web application architectures. It comes from event-driven desktop application design and doesn't fit into web application design very well. But luckily nobody really knows what MVC means, so we can call our presentation layer separation mechanism MVC and move on. (Rasmus Lerdorf)

Comment

Working...
                      X