Drop down list help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop down list help

Hi, I am trying to build a page which allows registered users to edit their details. The first field is "Title". I want this to be a drop down box as there are limited values. Now I have no problem in creating a dropdown box but I want it to default to the value they have already in the database.

Could anyone give me some pointers as to how is best to do this? Cheers, Andy.

I'm assuming you know how to connect to the database and get the default value...

something like...
    PHP Code:
    $id mysql_connect(hostusernamepassword);
    mysql_select_db(dbname$id);
    $sql "SELECT value FROM table WHERE userID=$userID";
    $rs mysql_query($sql$id);
    $r mysql_fetch_assoc($rs);
    $value $r['value'];
    mysql_free_result($rs); 

Then just echo out the value in your input tag

Code:
    <input type="text" name="fieldName" value="<?php echo $value;?>" />
    <edit>
    opps, sorry you wanted for a drop down...

Code:
    <select name="myselect">
        <option value="value1" <?php if($value=="value1"){echo selected=\"selected\";}?>>Option 1</option>
        <option value="value2" <?php if($value=="value2"){echo selected=\"selected\";}?>>Option 2</option>
    </select>
    </edit>
    Last edited by bcarl314; Feb 11, 2004, 12:51 PM.
    Create accessible online surveys -::- Koobten.com - compare netbook prices and reviews -::- Affordable, reliable hosting for less than $20 per year
    Zend Certified Engineer

Comment

Thats a great help, thanks. Did it slightly differently but same idea. Im having a problem now though, were i can populate the dropdown but it always misses the first entry from the db table. I assume its something to do with the way the arrays are indexed. This is what i have:

PHP Code:
       print "<select>";   
       while (
      $row=mysql_fetch_array($result)){

$title=$row["title"];
          print 
      "<option value='$title'>$title</option>";         
       } 
      if this is more of a mysql question then i apologise but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Comment

Working...
      X