Estimation on how long it takes to write a program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimation on how long it takes to write a program

What would be your estimation of how long it takes to write a php program (could be with JavaScript / Ajax / jQuery) for one person. Just one single programmer, and this person would be working max amount of time per week / month / year minus the needed breaks (all time available for this). I am thinking about something like

- tube script with photo albums functionality (something like Kernel Video Sharing or Mech Bunny Tube Script); script for a video site basically, with picture albums
    - pinterest clone script (something like Pintastic.com)
    - forum script (something like vBulletin), this may take a long time, maybe something less advanced and complex than vBulletin, but good forum script
    - picture galleries website script (something like Mech Bunny TGP script), it scrapes the picture galleries from the net, and you can edit the titles and models and publish them

Something along these lines. Would it be around 1 year for one person for the first three mentioned above, or longer? The person would be a beginner, but with good preparation and theoretical knowledge of this. The work process and approach could be consulted with somebody more experienced too.

Thanks.

How long is a piece of string?
    "Tango says double quotes with a single ( ' ) quote in the middle"
    '$Name says single quotes with a double ( " ) quote in the middle'
    "Tango says double quotes ( \" ) must escape a double quote"
    '$Name single quotes ( \' ) must escape a single quote'

Comment

It will take you exactly 60 minutes per hour to finish the job.
      To save time, lets just assume I am almost never wrong.

The XY Problem
      The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution (X) rather than your actual problem (Y). This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

Make A Donation https://www.paypal.me/KevinRubio

Comment

Originally posted by tangoforce View Post
        How long is a piece of string?
        Not a piece of string - tube script, pinterest clone script, photo galleries script, forum script (good quality).

Comment

You miss the point.

A piece of string has no particular length - it could be any length.. and that is the same answer to your question.

Comment

You miss the point.

A piece of string has no particular length - it could be any length.. and that is the same answer to your question.
            This may not be the best topic all together that I started, I agree. I just want to get a general idea on how long something like this can take, before I would get to working on this (I need to learn quite a lot before that too). Website like YouTube.com, make a php / MySQL script for it, could be with some JavaScript if needed (I am not sure if they use that). You have a client that comes to you and wants to know how long would it take for one person. You would need to have an answer for that. Again, info about the tube script, pinterest clone script, picture gallery script, forum script could be good. I am assuming that #1 and #2 could be similar, #3 could take less, and #4 longer then any of the other three. Could it be one year for the #1 and #2, 6 months for the #3 and 1.5 - 2 years for a forum script? Again, max amount of working time per week, 12-14 hours of work daily, and only the needed breaks. Not the best topic, I know that, but some kind of info could be good.

Comment

Ok... yes.. it could take a year.

You realise that it may actually take 2-3 but seeing as you keep pushing the point and refusing to accept that there is no definitive answer we can give you, I'll just tell you what you want to hear.

You must realise that it depends on your ability to learn php, mysql, javascript / ajax / jquery, html & css. If you know html and css then you're ok with the design part but just need to get the back end scripting learnt - which is totally different to a layout language and you have tp learn totally new concepts. Obviously it's your speed of learning that depends on how quick you progress. If you struggle with advanced areas of php or mysql then you're gonna be stumped. Many new coders think that as long as they can select, update, and delete stuff from the database that they can be called an adequate programmer. The reality is that you can end up running several hundred database queries for one http call and could have reduced this to just a few queries using table joins, sub queries etc.

If you're looking to get a basic hobby website running online then the database side of things isn't quite as important for efficiency but if you're planning to play with the big boys you've really got to know your stuff - they have hundreds / thousands of servers, you'll have just one and that means your code has got to be very efficient CPU and memory wise.

Moons ago when I was pretty new to php I had a script where I needed to look up details in multiple tables for multiple rows. So I wrote some complex nested sql queries in loops that did the job. The problem was that the page was incredibly slow (like 40 seconds+) and my CPU and ram usage would sky rocket leaving my single core PC almost unusable. Then I found how to log the SQL queries.. and when i looked in the file I saw literally 2000+ queries for those loops. So I was forced to look at table joins, subqueries etc.. and once I'd reorganised my tables and written some rather complex joined table queries, I got my database queries down to about 4. The page then worked instantly, used virtually no CPU or ram and left me feeling rather smug that I'd beaten the computer.

So there you have it, yes you CAN do it but you need to be dedicated and not sloppy. If you really want to take on the big boys then you've got to learn what you're doing first instead of diving in, writing bad code and then spending the rest of your life making alterations to a big mess. Learn what you're doing and THEN start on your project from scratch.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've been working on websites for 5+ years and on a full time basis (80+ hours per week). I was learning php , JavaScript and SQL / MySQL five years ago, so I am familiar with these things. I work on php code and I am familiar with this. I am planning to learn on an advanced level now, as I understand that this is very important. The better I learn the better programs I will write. I want to print like thousands of pages, highlight thing, make notes with pencil or pen and other things like this, as this can be better than learning from the computer screen. This would be MariaDB / SQL, php, JavaScript (Ajax / jQuery). I am already familiar with Linux system administration too (self managed hosting plan).

I know what you are talking about as far as writing good code and CPU / Memory usage. I actually have a problem with this because of a bad script that I bought and have. This is an inexpensive Pinterest clone script, and once the site became large it takes 25 seconds to load the main page of the site because of too many MySQL queries. The support tells me that I need a better hosting, but it does not make sense. The hosting that I have is already good and it should work. They told me that the database has become large and it takes longer to generate the reply for the queries, but it is most likely just a badly written script.

I want to be creating the best quality sites and possibly programs as making low quality things does not make sense. Do something good / very good or don't do it at all, and I think that the quality is very important on the Internet, in the long run (in this business - websites, php / JavaScript software). So as far as this, I am planning to learn on a very advanced level / very good (like read the whole MySQL website, be able to pass a test from that and so on). I am planning to be passing the certifications too (like Zend php for example, I am not sure if this is the best, but something like that).

Comment

5 years is a good start and it sounds like you may be on the right path. Really learning things will never really stop though. Even after 10 or 15 years there will be things to learn and techniques that may be improved on.
                  Dave .... HostMonster for all of your hosting needs

Comment

Even after 40 years programming there are still lots of things to learn.
                    Stephen
                    Learn Modern JavaScript - http://javascriptexample.net/
                    Helping others to solve their computer problem at http://www.felgall.com/

Don't forget to start your JavaScript code with "use strict"; which makes it easier to find errors in your code.

Comment

To be honest joliett89, I wonder why you even started this topic - you clearly have a lot of experience.

Comment

To be honest joliett89, I wonder why you even started this topic - you clearly have a lot of experience.
                        I have quite a lot of experience and I would like to go in the direction of programming now, being able to get a job as a programmer, lets say. I work on my own things now and I don't want to go out one day to look for work (or look for it on the Internet) and be a website person (writing text and clicking publish), social media marketing person (adding pictures and text to social media sites) or something simple like this. I've realized that working on websites is a very simple task and that anybody can do that, I would say (maybe except for Linux administration which would take some time to learn; but how long, 2 months of learning and you can start working on this too, lets say self-managed hosting for your own sites, low traffic to start).

I want to learn on a more advanced level, if not very advanced - know and understand the entire MySQL / MariaDB (all these things that are on their site for example), php programming, and JavaScript (Ajax, aQuery). With this I would like to be able to build good programs based on the Internet sites. I need to understand certain concept in order to do it good. For example, write in a modular way so I can delete certain parts of the program and replace it with something else for example (take out an entire floor of a building and replace it with something else, and at the same time all other floors of the building would work), be able to update the program, expand it if needed and so on. It all would need to be efficient, good for the processor and CPU, and all other things like that. I need to work on this to learn these things.

As far as my initial question, how long would YOU (any user of the forum) need to work to create something like:

- xxx tube script (pics and galleries), script can be used for non-xxx tube sites too, but this is an example
                        - pinterest clone script
                        - picture galleries script (with users who can register and add comments)
                        - forum script (this is the most advanced, this may take a long time)

All this just one person working on this and all time available for it (like 80+ hours per week). I just want to get an idea of what I can expect and possibly plan accordingly based on this.

Comment

This is another aspect of this, and if I could get some info regarding the previous post, it would be good.

But overall, how do you create a php program like this (tube script, pinterest cloned script, picture gallery script), what are the steps? It is an empty database (maybe not necessarily empty, this may depend on some thing) + admin area + the front site of the program (the actual website that it will output). You need to make right decision about the database layout (and possibly table types and other things that will be used), then create the admin area and the front side of the site. I guess it needs to be constructed in a certain way (like it needs to be modular, expandable or shrinkable, and other general rules like this) and it also needs to be RAM and CPU efficient (good MySQL queries and programming).

So you need to know and understand these things, also be aware of the security aspects of this. Other than that, what do you need to know? A certain number of php functions and what they do (and obviously the general php which is very easy). Then train yourself to use it for a certain period of time. I understand that I would be a better programmer after like five years of working in this (instead of just one year or six months).

But what I mean here, if I could find a good person familiar with this and who would be willing to share it, this could be explained in a couple of days or less. Like I would be able to train somebody to work on websites in less than a day (with more than 6 years of full time experience that I have; I learned a lot of things along the way, but it can all be easily summarized fairly fast).

Comment

Originally posted by joliett89 View Post
                            As far as my initial question, how long would YOU (any user of the forum) need to work to create something like:

- xxx tube script (pics and galleries), script can be used for non-xxx tube sites too, but this is an example
                            - pinterest clone script
                            - picture galleries script (with users who can register and add comments)
                            - forum script (this is the most advanced, this may take a long time)

All this just one person working on this and all time available for it (like 80+ hours per week). I just want to get an idea of what I can expect and possibly plan accordingly based on this.
                            For the FINAL TIME, there is no set answer to your question. It depends on things I have listed previously.. the features you want, the complexity of the admin panels, the design of the graphics, your personal skill set.. What I find interesting is that you keep referring to a 'script' for each site you list. Many of those sites will have multiple scripts, back end systems such as cron scripts etc - not just one single script.

Very few coders here will ever have written something that is a clone of one of the big boy sites out there like you list - infact I wouldn't be surprised if we have nobody here that has done it. The sheer fact that nobody has answered your topic to tell you how long it would take (or rather how long they think it would take YOU) should be telling you something.

If you want to create sites like those you've listed, just get on and do it. You clearly have the experience, so stop quibbling and just do it because you're not going to get the answer you want here.

Comment

I created a hobby club membership site in my spare time over the past 12 years. Still adding features to it.

Had I been working on it full time I possibly could have got it to the point it is currently at within 12 months.
                              Stephen
                              Learn Modern JavaScript - http://javascriptexample.net/
                              Helping others to solve their computer problem at http://www.felgall.com/

Don't forget to start your JavaScript code with "use strict"; which makes it easier to find errors in your code.

Comment

Working...
                              X