Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Having a very hard time working between two different environments - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a very hard time working between two different environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You said the code wasn't available. There is a download link at the site. Confused.
    To save time, lets just assume I am almost never wrong.

The XY Problem
    The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution (X) rather than your actual problem (Y). This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

Make A Donation https://www.paypal.me/KevinRubio

Comment

The code is available, its always been available. But it belongs to the owner, and he will not let anyone else put their name on it.. Even if you download it, fix it, you still have to leave their attribution on it and all you would be doing is fixing someone elses property with no rights to it at all. The script is so out of date that it will almost take a whole rewrite to bring it up to par. The issue was never "do we have the code" the issue has always been why fix someone elses stuff for them, and then one day if he decides to shut down the site and the online store then what, all you have is something you cant use or sell or anything..

My plan is to involve enough people over time that this will go on for a very long time and always be updated. At least thats the plan.
      Last edited by durangod; Sep 8, 2020, 08:49 PM.
      If a php file only has php code within it you do not need to use the closing php tag
      A good way to remember objects from arrays is you shoot objects with arrows Example: $name->id; then Arrays are $name['id'];
      durangod is short for durango dave

Comment

Got it. So you are wanting a clone of that app right?

The XY Problem
        The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution (X) rather than your actual problem (Y). This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

Comment

Not a clone because cloning would just extend the same issues and weight. Oxwall has 2 major issues, one is the overload of queries it takes to do the job and the other is the cron overload. Both of those contribute to slow performance once membership builds to a substancial level. What happens is that the crons begin to trip over each other as the requests pile up. There is a third issue of the amount of site pings. All of these are core based. The core was built to use plugins from the ground up so plugins are easy to add. So you have the core, then all the system plugins on top of the core, and then all the 3rd party plugins on top of that. And they all fit and work together well.. But the down side of that is as i said the over depencency on cron and query footprint. And to fix those it would take a substantial amount of work. The scirpt was so popular because it gave someone out of the box many more features than any other open source script of its kind.

The problem with improving the script itself is ownership, the owner can just pull the plug at any time and the admin area of the script is connected to their servers.

So my thought is to still give them the features, allow for plugins, but keep it mean an lean with regard to process and dependency. If i can do that then in a few years i think it can grow to a user base even more than Oxwall on its best day... But im not thinking about that right now im thinking about getting it available before they lose functionality completely and being able to port their data and connect with currrent plugins with some minor modifications. Some of the plugins i am not worried about losing, they were written very badly and were very dangerious with regard to any kind of security or sanitation. But there are good ones as well that need to be kept active and used. So i also need to come up with a way to build a bridge of some kind for those. The challeng with that is going from smarty to no smarty, there would have to be some kind of converter. Anyway thats the deal.... technically its not a clone but to the user it needs to act alittle like one in user experience.

Im getting ready to leave for my trip, ill be back next monday.... :0)
          Last edited by durangod; Sep 9, 2020, 01:45 AM.
          If a php file only has php code within it you do not need to use the closing php tag
          A good way to remember objects from arrays is you shoot objects with arrows Example: $name->id; then Arrays are $name['id'];
          durangod is short for durango dave

Comment

I did a quick code read of various files on the Oxwall GitHub Repo. I didn't see anything that would lock the app to Php 5.6. The app is Class based, uses PDO and appears to be written Ok, although, the last version update was in 2016 and last commits were 4-6 years ago.

Overall, it is a large app, meaning it can do a lot. If you are trying to recreate this, you definitely need a plan & blueprint to follow. The "code as you go" method would be a very bad idea. That's great you want to try and do something for the Oxwall community but unfortunately your current architecture will bring you many troubles the whole way. On the plus side, you will learn a lot along the way.

The XY Problem

Comment

Working...
            X