Search Engine Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Engine Software

Hey guys, what software global search engines use?
    I know how to create search engine with my own database using php, but I am actually looking for a bot type software that would save information from other web sites to my database. I don't think its php, but php is the type of server side of language I know so I post it here.
    I would love to be able to install it to my cPanel, because I have shared server hosting. Is there anything like that on the market?
    Note: I don't need anything really advanced, I just need simple SES to search certain web sites.

Thanks in advance.
    Validate CSS
    Try it
    Learn CSS
    ColorPicker
    Validate

Sphider

A good place to start is:
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/php/...wn.html?page=2

Actually I use Sphider (open source - PHP + MySQL) to embed a search engine into my website, showing only results of my website (internal search).

This open source project act as a complete search engine with relevancy, keyword base, but with simple administration.

You can crawl other sites to include their pages in your database, set the maximum number of steps (links to follow) and have the possibility to crawl others domains if they appear.

You can change the "look and feel" editing their templates or creating your own.

I insert it (with design changes of course) on a Brazilian online store and you can see it in action here:

www.multivegetal.com
    (the search bar is in portuguese and is located in the top-right with text "procure aqui...")

One of the main changes in my search engine is to show images of products instead of text-only results.

Take a look!

Comment

Thanks. Although I don't need it to crawl my own web site I just want it to go to list of web sites and save their data in my database; I can write script to search through local database myself. And another feature I need is limitation by link, so I would give a script domain to crawl and its should not leave it (if you know what I mean).

I will read your link later.
      Thanks again.
      Validate CSS
      Try it
      Learn CSS
      ColorPicker
      Validate

Comment

Originally posted by RomanTaylor View Post
        Thanks. Although I don't need it to crawl my own web site I just want it to go to list of web sites and save their data in my database; I can write script to search through local database myself. And another feature I need is limitation by link, so I would give a script domain to crawl and its should not leave it (if you know what I mean).

I will read your link later.
        Thanks again.
        Hi RomanTaylor!

You can crawl a list of web sites and save their data in your database and, yes, you can limit to only crawl the domains you have listed, so your script don't leaves it.

I used it to internal search but you aren't limited to only one domain (internal) search, and you don't need to put your domain in the list. Your database can be made with only a list of web sites that you want.

You have many index option, like set the 'depth value' (how many clicks the crawl can do) or use a 'full crawl' option (crawl all pages of a specified domain).

I understand your need and I recommend you to do a test with Sphider.

In a few minutes you will see these features and the best one: it's open source, so you can customize it to your specific needs and don't pay for it.

Here is the Sphider official website: http://www.sphider.eu/

You are welcome!

Comment

well, you can try simple search engine freefind. or ht:/dig

there are much more powerful search engine software like lexst-sea and google gsa and , but they are all too expensive, and not easy to handle for medium websites.

Although these above small engines are simple, but they have rich feature on crawling technlolgy and parsing ability. For your case, "relevance" is the number one important issue.
          Last edited by yasso; Jun 29, 2009, 10:29 PM. Reason: to complete

Comment

Working...
          X