Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update user details form

Hiya all.
    I am trying to build a form that allows users to update their details held in the database. I've gone for the approach of having the fields already stating what is in the database, but I have now come across another problem. When i click update it just reverts back to the original data in the database becuase its calling the variable which holds the data. What variable should i put in the mysql query instead?
    Thanks

Code:
     <?php

include ('connect.php'); 
             mysql_select_db("a6188092") or die(mysql_error());

$members = mysql_query(sprintf("SELECT * FROM Member WHERE loginName='%s'", mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_COOKIE['loginName'])))) or die ('SQL Error: ' . mysql_error());

$fetch = mysql_fetch_array($members);

$loginName = $fetch['loginName'];

echo 'New user name: <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="15" name="userName" value="'.$loginName.'" />';
             echo "<br />";

if ($_POST['edit'] == 'Update your account')
             {

$query = mysql_query(sprintf("UPDATE Member SET loginName='$loginName' WHERE loginName='%s'", mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_COOKIE['loginName'])))) or die ('SQL Error: ' . mysql_error());

echo("Details updated. <br /><br /><br />");
             } 
             ?>

Are you sure data is not saved in database? You are echoing old data before updating it, try updating it first and then echoing:

PHP Code:
    <?php

include ('connect.php'); 

mysql_select_db("a6188092") or die(mysql_error());

if (
    $_POST['edit'] == 'Update your account')
             {

$query mysql_query(sprintf("UPDATE Member SET loginName='$loginName' WHERE loginName='%s'"mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_COOKIE['loginName'])))) or die ('SQL Error: ' mysql_error());

echo(
    "Details updated. <br /><br /><br />");
             } 

$members mysql_query(sprintf("SELECT * FROM Member WHERE loginName='%s'"mysql_real_escape_string(trim($_COOKIE['loginName'])))) or die ('SQL Error: ' mysql_error());

$fetch mysql_fetch_array($members);

$loginName $fetch['loginName'];

echo 
    'New user name: <input type="text" size="20" maxlength="15" name="userName" value="'.$loginName.'" />';
             echo 
    "<br />";
    ?>
    Bits 'n Bytes - my PHP blog | free PHP Inventory script

Comment

One problem I see is that you are calling a cookie. You don't want to use cookies for this, keep it strictly SESSIONS
      Rowsdower! has accused me of having mental problems, and the administrator allowed it. What a great forum huh?

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the cookies, i didnt think there was a problem with them but now I have found a bug - i'll fix that later.

About moving the update further up, this changed the fields in the database but only with blank data?? Any body know why?

Comment

When you use a POST method, you need to extract the data like so

PHP Code:
          if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
          $name $_POST['name'];
          $email $_POST['email'];
          $id $row['id'];

mysql_query("UPDATE users SET name='$name', email='$email' WHERE id='$id'");

Rowsdower! has accused me of having mental problems, and the administrator allowed it. What a great forum huh?

Comment

Working...
          X