Decode This Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decode This Loop

A while back someone very kindly helped me with a code that searches a database to determine which sku's (a 4 digit number between 1000 & 9999) have not yet been assigned to rows.

Code:
    <?php

$sql = "SELECT sku FROM products WHERE sku BETWEEN 1000 and 9999";
    $result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
    $taken = array();
    $possible = range(1000,9999);
    while($row=mysql_fetch_row($result)){
        $taken[] = $row[0];
    }
    $unused = array_diff($possible,$taken);

echo '<pre>'.print_r($unused,1).'</pre>';

?>
    Very helpful indeed... except i can't define each unassigned 4 digit "sku" as a variable, which is what i want to do ie. alter the MySQL code to LIMIT 0,1 so when the code is called it lists the next available 4 digit code and no more, and allows me to define it as say $next_avail

Can someone help me unravel the above to work without the help of arrays. Can it be done?

Thanks you as always for all your help.

From what you have there, the first available sku would be $unused[0]. That assumes as well that the $unused is in order, which it should be since you're performing a difference on the $possible which is ranged from 1000, 9999.
    PHP Code:
    header('HTTP/1.1 420 Enhance Your Calm'); 
    Been gone for a few months, and haven't programmed in that long of a time. Meh, I'll wing it ;)

Comment

that would work... IF the next available sku was always in $unused[0]; they're not though.

Whatever way the above code works, if for example the next sku is 1787, the row is $unused[787] so I can't pre-empt what the unused is going to be - any thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
      X