Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Image character encoding - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image character encoding

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Image character encoding

    I've made a PHP script which, when a non-HTML page is requested, passes it through by setting the appropriate MIME type header and then uses readfile($file_to_pass); to send the file to the browser.

    Unfortunately, this seems to have run into a strange issue. I'm trying to convert my whole database/site to UTF-8 for pleasant international consistency, but since changing the encoding of a few of the PHP files, images no longer display correctly.

    http://andrewsteele.co.uk/shared/tem...co.uk/leaf.jpg is an example.

    The weird thing is that if you save the image, open it in a text editor of your choice and then re-save it in 8-bit encoding rather than the UTF-8 it seems to open in by default, the image then works perfectly.

    I thought that character sets didn't affect images.

    What's going on, and what can I do?!

    Any advice appreciated.

  • #2
    Can you show some code?
    Web Programming Tutorial
    Python Web Programming Tutorial
    Programming Tutorial for absolute beginners

    Comment


    • #3
      It's probably because GD doesn't work with UTF8. PHP doesn't fully support UTF yet.
      I'm not sure if this was any help, but I hope it didn't make you stupider.

      Experience is something you get just after you really need it.
      PHP Installation Guide Feedback welcome.

      Comment


      • #4
        Some code:

        PHP Code:
        function scms_pass_file($file_to_pass)
        {
            
        //set $ext, the file extension (the substring of everything after the dot in the basename(), ie filename, part of the path), and make it ready for a MySQL query (just adds 'quotes')
            
        $ext scms_db_2db(substr(basename($file_to_pass), strrpos(basename($file_to_pass), '.')+1));
            
        //find out the MIME type from the database
            
        if(!$mime_type scms_db_query("SELECT mime_type FROM scms_mimetypes WHERE ext=".$ext))
            
        //if the query above fails, look for no extension - the default MIME type
            
        $mime_type scms_db_query("SELECT mime_type FROM scms_mimetypes WHERE ext=''"); }
            
        //use them ($ext is the extension of your file)
            //scms_db_query returns FALSE when no rows are selected, so the if can simply be if the output variable
            
        if ($mime_typeheader("Content-Type: ".$mime_type);
            
        header("Content-Length: "[email protected]filesize($file_to_pass));
            
        header("Cache-Control: max-age=86400");
            
        readfile($file_to_pass);
            return 
        TRUE;
        }

        //call the just-defined function to pass the file
        scms_pass_file($scms_input['pass']); 
        I have also noticed (now that my browser cache has expired!) that the same problem happens with CSS files. For some reason the change of encoding inserts invalid characters into the CSS and means that some instructions do not parse correctly.
        Last edited by almightymaster; Oct 7, 2006, 07:27 AM.

        Comment

        Working...
        X