joining tables in sql

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joining tables in sql

I have built an sql script that connects to one tables. however I want to connect now to 2, this is what I had

$query = "SELECT * FROM artists WHERE ID = ".stripslashes($ID);

how do I connect to 2 tables, I know about foreign fields, its just the sql Im not sure about, if someone could post some example ive been googling it for ages, with no success.
    Jason Morjaria

Is this for a MySQL database?
    Spookster
    CodingForum Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

Comment

i have a similar question, and yes it is for a mySQL database.

i have two tables with different information. both tables have dates and event titles though. how can i create a new table, on the fly, with the date fields and title fields from both?
      "There is more than one way to do it."

Comment

yes it is mysql, do you have any ideas, I want to join the tables with a simple ID. I think I can do the join part, (although add an exmaple for me to look at) but its putting it in the php page as I showed you above,
        Jason Morjaria

Comment

Don't you think you should have posted this in the MySQL forum?

I'll move it there...
          Spookster
          CodingForum Supreme Overlord
          All Hail Spookster

Comment

Haahhhh. Fresh meat !!
            I want to join the tables with a simple ID. I think I can do the join part, (although add an exmaple for me to look at) but its putting it in the php page as I showed you above,
            $query = "SELECT artists.var1, artists.var2, artists.var3 FROM artists INNER JOIN table2 ON artists.joiningfieldfromartists=table2.joiningfieldfromtable2= WHERE ID = ".stripslashes($ID);

==> the italic parts need to be replaced by your atual column and tablenames. Post the real table-design if you need to exact query for your situation.
            Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Originally posted by dswimboy
              i have a similar question, and yes it is for a mySQL database.

i have two tables with different information. both tables have dates and event titles though. how can i create a new table, on the fly, with the date fields and title fields from both?
              Please, do not hijack a thread. Start a new one for your problem, which is totaly different from the original subject + you need to give more info. Like : do both source-tables have the same number of records? does the new table need to have 2 tiltle and 2 date fields, or just one of each so that bothe sourcetables columns could be merged?
              Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Working...
              X