SELECT 
    FROM listing
    WHERE type 
    'coltype' OR 
    name LIKE '%quicksearch%' OR  
    (
    type 'coltype' AND name LIKE 'letter%') OR  
    (
    address 'estaddress' AND type 'esttype' AND location 'estlocation') OR   (address 'estaddress' AND type 'esttype' AND location 'estlocation' AND name LIKE 'letter%') OR
      (
    location 'locationbutton' AND type 'locationtype') OR  (location 'locationbutton' AND type 'locationtype' AND name LIKE 'letter%') OR  
    (
    name LIKE '%partialname%' AND type 'partialtype') OR   
    (
    name LIKE '%partialname%' AND type 'partialtype' AND name LIKE 'letter%') OR 
     (
    type LIKE '%advtype%' AND music LIKE '%advmusic%' AND location LIKE '%advlocation%' AND events LIKE '%advevents%' AND food LIKE '%advfood%') OR 
     (
    type LIKE '%advtype%' AND music LIKE '%advmusic%' AND location LIKE '%advlocation%' AND events LIKE '%advevents%' AND food LIKE '%advfood%' AND name LIKE 'letter%')
    ORDER BY sqlorderby 
    the reason there are some that are almost duplicates (except the name LIKE 'letter%') is because this page is a search results page for about 5 options, above those 5 options, i want to be able to narrow the records by letter (hence the name LIKE 'letter%') anyway.....back to my question

lets say i only put this
    PHP Code:
    (type 'coltype' AND name LIKE 'letter%'
    it'll correctly show my records for an url like this: www.site.com/page.php?type=value&letter=value

HOWEVER

if i have it the way i have it now
    PHP Code:
    type 'coltype' OR (type 'coltype' AND name LIKE 'letter%'
    the same url wont work, but the type would?

any ideas why?

I don't understand the question

but
    PHP Code:
    type 'coltype' OR (type 'coltype' AND name LIKE 'letter%'
    is simply pointless. I mean, just fill in actual values
    --> if type=5 or (type=5 and name like 'test%')

so if type = 5 --> True. Regardless the name/letter-value
    So basiccally it's the same as
    PHP Code:
    type 'coltype' 
    And it's the same with your other and/or checks in the where clause --> half of them our pointless.
    Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

im sorry.....the coltype is a $_GET['type']....they mean the same....

and what i mean by this is the the same url will only work if its something like this
      www.site.com/page.php?type=value..... but if i add a type=value&letter=value......it wont work.......

its a long story why i didnt write name = 'coltype' and not name = '$_GET['type']......

also, why i write this

PHP Code:

type 
      'coltype' OR (type 'coltype' AND name LIKE 'letter%'
      is because there can be 2 searches.....
      a) only for type
      b) type + letter

Comment

also, why i write this

PHP:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        type = 'coltype' OR (type = 'coltype' AND name LIKE 'letter%')

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is because there can be 2 searches.....
        a) only for type
        b) type + letter
        Like i told you, the "OR (type = 'coltype' AND name LIKE 'letter%')" has no effect whatshovever

example

5=5 OR (5=5 and 10=10) --> will return True, because its True OR (True AND True)

5=6 OR (5=6 and 10=10) --> will return False, bacause its False OR (False AND True)

5=5 OR (5=5 and 10=11) --> will return True, because its True OR (True AND False)

So it will only evaluate the "type = 'coltype'" and the OR clause is pointless since it has no effect on the evaluation.

If you can have 2 possible search-conditions (like your a and b) then you need to dynamically build the querystring. Like
        PHP Code:
        $codition'1=1' ;   // makes it easier, because you don't need to check what the first real  condition is
        if (strlen($_GET['type']) >= 1){

$codition .= " AND type = ' " $_GET['type'] . "'"
        }
        if (
        strlen($_GET['letter']) >= 1){

$codition .= " AND name LIKE ' " $_GET['letter'] . "%'"
        }
        $sql="SELECT ... WHERE " $condition 
        So you dynamically build the where clause and then add it to your query.
        Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Working...
        X