X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regex with anything other than InStr?

Look at this pattern...
    openTags.Pattern = "\<([A-za-z0-9]{1,}) {0,1}[^\>.]*\>"

Finds all open tags... Now you can access the two different bracketed part by $1 and $2 while using the replace function. HOwever, can I use the $1's and $2's in an Instr? In this pattern $1 will contain the tag name eg. "a" or "font" or "h1". I want to search to see if "/" & the tag name e.g. "/a" or "/font" or "/h1" and IF thats the case... do some replace... can that be done?
    I'm gonna find a way to download the internet if its the last thing I do...
    Prepare to bow down to me (or my grave) and call me almighty when the algorithm is finished

Of course it can, you could just use a different pattern. It'd be pretty much the same except tweaked to look for closing tags. Because from what I can tell by looking at that one, it won't find closing tags so I'm not sure what you ment by using instr.
    OracleGuy

Comment

openTags.Pattern = "\<([A-za-z0-9]{1,}) {0,1}[^\>.]*\>"

$1 would hold the name of the tag... so I could search for "</" + $1 + ">" to find the closed form of the tag. Thats what I was thinking that I could use inStr for. However... I vaguely recall that you can look for some repeated patterns somehow in regexp's but I just don't know how to.... could you help me out?
      Prepare to bow down to me (or my grave) and call me almighty when the algorithm is finished

Comment

This is vb code, but it should translate pretty well over to ASP. Basically it gets all the matches from your test data which I assume would be a hunk of HTML. So then code would go through each match and grab $1 and throw it in that value. So basically if you needed to do an instr, you have what you need.

Code:
        Set Matches = regEx.Execute(TestData)
        For Each Match In Matches
            'Your equivalent to $1
            DollarSign1 = Match.Submatches(0)
            'Do whatever other operations you want to do or stash that variable for later
        Next
        However there may be a better solution.
        You can use regex.replace()
        with this <([a-zA-Z]+).+?>(.|\n)+?<\1>
        Code:
        regex.global = true
        regex.IgnoreCase= true
        regex.pattern = <([a-zA-Z]+).+?>(.|\n)+?<\1>
        newhunkoftext = regex.replace(oldhunkoftext, "Replacement text $1")
        And assuming my VB isn't all rusty that would replace each tag on the page with Replacement Text *Tag*. The regex may need a little finesse as well, just cooked it up right now.
        Whats the point of a signature?

Comment

Originally posted by CrzySdrs
          Code:
              DollarSign1 = Match.Submatches(0)
          Man, thats the answer to ALL my questions. All I really wanted to do was to access the submatches and get it stored somewhere... thanks man!

Comment

it can be done in several ways

Comment

Working...
            X