Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can´t open or view asp page on my server

Hi!

Can anyone tell me why i cant view my asp page on my server. I got a HTTP 500 error message telling me that i have a internal server error..

Any hints...

In Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Clear the "Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages" checkbox.

It a fit of of mindlessness worthy of a Dilbert strip someone at MS invented this option, made it a default and then labeled it in a fashion that makes it look like it might be a good thing.

The truth is: that option takes your nice Error 500 page with all the nice information in it which can tell you exactly what kind of problem you encountered and replaces it with a "Cleaned up" Error 500 page missing all of the useful information but leaving all the useless and confusing stuff.
    Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

Comment

Thanx man..

got it up and running again

Joel

Comment

It's amazing how quick you can find the problem when you can actually see the error message .
        Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

Comment

That definitely is a "dilbert"-ism.

I can't believe that's a default... let me see if I can fathom the thought processes of the developers who decided to check that box.

"Hmm... they won't know what it means anyway and it will confuse the user"

"Yeah... then they'll call someone that will tell them to uncheck that box, and that might take 15-20 minutes on the phone with some people who just don't understand Windows to be able to read the error back, because then you have to explain to them how to 'hard refresh' the page in Internet Exploder"

"Nah, that would never happen... people will send a 500 error with code by email, they'll post the site URL, and the developer will figure it out from there"

"Yeah... sounds good to me. We'll let Customer Service deal with it"

Now, that all sounds fine and dandy... if you're Microsoft. LOL
          Last edited by whammy; Feb 27, 2004, 01:11 AM.
          Former ASP Forum Moderator - I'm back!

If you can teach yourself how to learn, you can learn anything. ;)

Comment

Working...
          X