Advantages of .NET?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of .NET?

I've been asked to do some recon on what the advantages are in .NET vs classic ASP. I personally want to go to .NET very much, for personal reasons (my career will be very much enhanced with .NET under my belt ).

I've mentioned that it has Crystal integrated into it, as well as the fact that it's faster, and pulling from the database goes faster...what are some other, good things to tell?
    This is in spanish when you're not looking.

Some random thoughts you can use:

If you're coding just ASP right now then you're already TWO generations behind the technology curve. The 2003 version of .NET is the current technology (from MS) for developing code (not just ASP but anything using Visual Studio).

The range of things built into .NET which are readily available (like creating custom images from scratch) vs what's there for ASP is also a major improvement.

ASP.NET allows you to program in a lot more languages than the old ASP ever did so your potential developer pool is larger.
    Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

Comment

Scalability, Security, Performance, OO.

among other things:
      http://asp.net/whitepaper/whyaspnet....ndex=0&tabid=1
      does this sig match?

Comment

Separation of code from presentation.
        Over 4000 objects to simplify common tasks (versus classic ASP's 6 or so!)

Compiled & faster

No More DLL-HELL

Ability to do many things that would have required a DLL for in classic ASP (such as graphics manipulation, uploads,etc.)

fv

Comment

All of these posts are correct. I was able to develop something in 30 minutes in C# as a Windows app that a new programmer at my company had already spent a week on (and he gave up).

.NET does have some foibles, for instance standards compliance in its generated client-side code (I think they really overlooked this aspect of web development, at least in the current version).

But this is exciting and workable technology to me... I love it. That was the first chance I got to work on .NET stuff in a long time, and to pump a solution out that fast is just incredible.

I feel like a kid again (in a good way!) when I'm doing any C#.NET
          Former ASP Forum Moderator - I'm back!

If you can teach yourself how to learn, you can learn anything. ;)

Comment

Man I feel like I'm stuck in the dark ages with classic asp.

There really is very little reason at the moment to upgrade to .NET, in my boss' eyes. They're thinking about it...but we're still using Access/VB to run reports--so we're not exactly on the front of the technology wave. At least we've got the latest version of Oracle though...

Comment

At least we've got the latest version of Oracle though...
              Installed the Oracle client yesterday and experienced the most user antagonistic, stubbornly ignorant install program I've seen in years. How does Oracle maintain any market share at all when their code is so poor?
              Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

Comment

My guess is that it's because there are a lot of highly paid consultants who like the money the get to do it....so they promote it. And a lot of people just hate Microsoft...so they will do everything they can to avoid SQL Server.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Sinclair
                  Installed the Oracle client yesterday and experienced the most user antagonistic, stubbornly ignorant install program I've seen in years. How does Oracle maintain any market share at all when their code is so poor?
                  LOL...

I just installed Oracle 3 days ago and it took me two days to connect to an Oracle Database off of the server...

Error Message after error message....Any thing from .NET not having permissions on the Oracle folder to not having the latest patches installed. Now it works like a dream....Only 8+ hours of swearing....

Anything new that is being developed in the company I do contracting for now has to be .NET. Th language is so much easier to use once you get the hang of it. I had to code in classic ASP the other day and I had to sit there and think how to do it since I kept wanting to use my datagrids!
                  Last edited by A1ien51; Feb 19, 2004, 01:07 PM.
                  Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint]

Comment

I haven't done any web stuff yet in .NET... but man, is C# pleasant to work with after VBScript etc. I love it.

Comment

I am working with .NET since beta 1 .. and I had recently to write an application with asp 3 .....
                      it is like to come back in jail when you have done nothing for i it

the very very first point of .NET is...... FUN :-))

Comment

I agree with you 100%.

Comment

Our mandate is likewise, all new things are to be done in ASP.NET.
                          From time to time we do have to go back to maintain things we wrote in Classic ASP - takes a few minutes of transition time....
                          Likewise when I do after-hours PHP stuff...adjust to the mindset of it all. Often think that by the time one knows it all in entirety that it has all changed. A fast-moving target indeed!

fv

Comment

Those are all very good reasons. If we've got 4 sites already written in classic ASP--and we need to continue to add on to them...I see that we'd probably have a migration to do.

I know that you can run asp and aspx together...but the sites use session variables and cookies quite a bit, and I know that you can't share at least session variables between asp and aspx pages.

They're pretty much ready for a re-write, so I imagine I'd want to start with the smallest to get my feet wet...but I'm thinking that it'd be a pretty big pain to move over. I just don't know that it'd be worth changing over.

Comment

Working...
                            X