Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conn string problems

Hello everyone,

I built a login structure using a databe for a website and I cannot get the connection string right. You can view the website at: NS Fire CISM login
    The login was working and then I moved the website to a different server and all of a sudden the login wouldn't work anymore. The Conn string I used was:

<% connCISM = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)} ; DBQ= & Server.MapPath(wwwroot\Database\CISM.mdb)"%>

and when you enter your login info this is the error:

HTTP 500 - Internal server error

I just have no idea why this isn't working. I really need to get this fixed. I've been searching for an answer for a while.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    Melissa

Does that connection string really work in the previous server?
    That has syntax errors. The quotes are in the wrong place and missing.

<% connCISM = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)} ; DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("wwwroot\Database\CISM.mdb") & ";"%>

Regarding your question, what directory is the database located now? Obviously, you need to change the path of the database to point to a new location.
    Glenn
    vBulletin Mods That Rock!

Comment

this can help connStrings

Comment

Thanks

I changed the mistakes but it still won't work so I'll take a look at the recommended website and see what it tells me. Who wouldn've thought there was a website www.connectionstrings.com?

1 question: Does the path have to be direct path straight from the main directory? The database is in a database folder inside the "wwwroot" folder where all the pages are. Also, inside the main directory there is a "db" folder....would it be better for me to put it there? Would the server want me to?

Thanks for your responses!
        Melissa

Comment

you don't even need to list the wwwroot when you write out the server.mappath Server.MapPath("\Database\CISM.mdb")

here is another one you can try. On Some servers this works better.

connCISM = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("\Database\CISM.mdb") & ; Jet OLEDB:database Password=YourPasswordGoesHere;"
          Last edited by miranda; Feb 11, 2004, 01:22 PM.

Comment

It is always recommended to put your database out of reach from http request. If you put your db inside the "wwwroot/database" directory, the db would be accessible by anyone:

http://mydomain/database/CISM.mdb

The db should be put above the root directory.

Code:
            _database
                 |__CISM.mdb
            _wwwroot
                 |__*.asp
            The code now should be:
            <%
            connCISM = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("..\database\CISM.mdb") & ";"
            %>
            Last edited by glenngv; Apr 27, 2004, 05:06 AM.
            Glenn

Comment

Another way to do the same thing glenngv is recommending (and he's right - you need to make sure your database is not downloadable, if someone guesses the name!):
              Code:
              sConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & _
              Mid(Server.MapPath("\"), 1, InStrRev(Server.MapPath("\"),"\")-1) & "\PUTYOURFILENAMEHERE.mdb;" & _
              "Persist Security Info=False;"

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
              Conn.Open sConnString

'Put whatever here!

Conn.Close
              Set Conn = Nothing
              I haven't used Microsoft Access in quite a while, but this syntax always worked for me... on Brinkster as well.
              Former ASP Forum Moderator - I'm back!

If you can teach yourself how to learn, you can learn anything. ;)

Comment

I would like to correct the code I posted.
                The path should be:

Server.MapPath("..\database\CISM.mdb")

without the backlash at the beginning.

Sample output is:

C:\Inetpub\database\CISM.mdb

whammy, that' also correct. But if molenaar_m wants his/her directory structure to be a little organized, he/she needs to specify a subfolder.

Mid(Server.MapPath("\"), 1, InStrRev(Server.MapPath("\"),"\")-1) & "\database\PUTYOURFILENAMEHERE.mdb;"

The output would be the same as in my code's.
                Glenn

Comment

THANKS!

Perfect....this is exactly the help I was looking for. Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try a couple of your solutions after and hopefully they will fix the problem.
                  Melissa

Comment

Working...
                  X