asp or ssi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asp or ssi

I know this is not an ssi forum, but if anyone here uses ssi I could use your advice.

I am going to need to learn one or the other very soon.
    I mainly want to use them for inclcuding files into webpages from the server side.

much like how php allows this.

The thing is I don't know which language would be more desireable. Faster on the server, easier to work with.
    More flexible and quicker to learn.

So, ASP or SSI? Which do you recommend...
    We all have souls, where do you want yours to go?

The little princess
    Back from the dead
    A Love Story
    The only Hope / End Times

I think your a bit misinformed. ASP is a server side scripting language. SSI stands for server side includes, which means, files you include inside your server side script at runtime (when the script is processed, before it gets parsed). So it's a way to reuse server side scriptingcode, because you can store frequently used code (like connectionstrings, functions, regex) inside a seperate file, and then just include them inside your script
    Like<!--#include file="db/confile.asp"-->
    Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

aha...
      Thanks, yes that make sense. I was repeating the full words for SSI and it didn't ring any bells code wise, it only sounded like a lib inclusion method or something.

Thanks for confirming this for me.
      I better start learning ASP, I guess I could use SSI but for right now it would be best to go with asp.

Thank you very much, your help is very much appreciated!

The little princess
      Back from the dead
      A Love Story

Comment

PHP can do this as well... but if you're really comfortable with Microsoft technology, ASP might be the way to go.

Actually to clarify things, basically ASP already uses SSI - it's even the same syntax - but the advantage ASP has over a webserver that "just supports SSI" is that you can include server-side logic in your include file, so it's dynamic...

I hope that wasn't confusing.
        Former ASP Forum Moderator - I'm back!

If you can teach yourself how to learn, you can learn anything. ;)

Comment

Thanks whammy.
          Yes, php I know how ot reasonably use, but this server doesn't support php only both asp and ssi. I wasn't sure which to use for a templating system for a website.
          I would like to also program a few scripts into my files though, so like you said, asp would probably be a good way to go.

Thanks for the help. It's a brand new adventure learning asp, I'll be back for more help, count on it

The little princess
          Back from the dead
          A Love Story

Comment

Former ASP Forum Moderator - I'm back!

If you can teach yourself how to learn, you can learn anything. ;)

Comment

Working...
            X