Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter How do I add an email address on a VPS server using Webmin, Debian 10, Apache Server? - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I add an email address on a VPS server using Webmin, Debian 10, Apache Server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolved How do I add an email address on a VPS server using Webmin, Debian 10, Apache Server?

Hi,

First of all I am new to this VPS stuff and if I had known that it was so difficult I would have stuck to managed services or shared hosting where one has cPanel to do all the heavy lifting.

That being said... how do I go about adding an email address so that I can receive emails on the domain attached to the server?
    The domain is theforensicnurse.org

The VPS system has Debian 10 installed with Webmin and also runs Apache.
    It has various modules installed (by me) such as:
    Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Server
    Version 2.3.4.1

Sendmail Mail Server
    Sendmail version 8.15.2, config V10/Berkeley

Also available but not installed:
    Postfix Mail Server

In my shared hosting environment (I have multiple hosting packages) I have cPanel and all I do there is go to 'Emails', add email address and choose the first bit of an email address, i.e. joesmith, choose which domain I want it under and then click 'Create' and its done!

So, if I want to create an email address that emails can be sent to, for example, [email protected], how do I go about doing it?
    As usual, search engines bring up an almighty amount of crap, instructions that I do find are absolutley horrible to read and understand (yeah, that problem again) - https://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/Sendmail_Mail_Server, and there doesn't seem to be any place where things are written in understandable concepts and language.

John_Betong do you have any suggestions??????

Last edited by judgedredd; Jul 6, 2021, 07:31 AM.

I am not on the desktop at the moment and from memory I used the following link:

https://subscription.packtpub.com/bo...send-an-e-mail

Once the email was set and tested I use mail(…) from the PHP Online Manual examples. I have not setup receive email yet.

Comment

Thanks for that link John_Betong . I actually found the pdf of the book for free. If you want a copy just let me know. I have been able to use the info in it to set up a Postifix mail server. I had to get rid of the Sendmail server as the book didn't cover that module. Mind you, as with any technical computer programming based book, it is very poorly written. Ever tried following the instructions for the email set up? It leaves a lot to be desired. If I find a great resource for all this stuff I will post the link here for you.

Comment

Originally posted by judgedredd View Post
        Thanks for that link John_Betong . I actually found the pdf of the book for free. If you want a copy just let me know. I have been able to use the info in it to set up a Postifix mail server. I had to get rid of the Sendmail server as the book didn't cover that module. Mind you, as with any technical computer programming based book, it is very poorly written. Ever tried following the instructions for the email set up? It leaves a lot to be desired. If I find a great resource for all this stuff I will post the link here for you.
        Yes, please send forward the PDF because currently I only use the PHP mail(...); function and would like to receive emails.

Comment

I sent you a private message with the link.

Comment

Hey John_Betong , I followed the instructions in the book and it doesn't work. This is driving me NUTS!!! I sent a test email to that address I 'set up' and this is the message I got:
            Code:
            This is the mail system at host relay.mailchannels.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
            be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
            delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]>: host mail.theforensicnurse.org[62.171.149.227]
                said: 550 5.1.1 <[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]>: Recipient address rejected:
                User unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
            Which brings up a point I have made before - these bloody books are USELESS!!! This 'lesson' jumps steps, and (this is the one I hate the most - where a lesson tells you to go to another lesson to do something within the current lesson), tells you to go to another chapter to create rules to open ports up, and makes assumptions about things - like where is the part about setting up an actual email user (that bit above that says 'User unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)? Instead of complaining about this I am going to make DAMN sure that when I get it right I write up a lesson in how to do it 'properly' which might take me a bloody month but so be it.

Until then, how did you get your site to work (receive emails)? I've been on this since 1:30am this morning and its now 7:16am. !
            Last edited by judgedredd; Jun 23, 2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I've abandoned the idea of getting Postfix configured correctly and have gone over to a service called http://mxroute.com . This way the email is completely separated from hosting but using the same domain (separated out by the MX zone records). Now I just have to set up the email on this service.

Comment

Well, that was easy. Took me 3 hours (or less) to get the email working properly and the email clients (on the PC) configued and the site still showing. Compared to over two weeks of hell trying to do it the other way (trying to configure Postfix). I would recommend the http://mxroute.com service for everyone who is not Postfix-savvy. I got the lifetime deal for $150. Bloody cheap for what you get.

Comment

Working...
                X