Dev Day 02.04: Hello from Mountain View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dev Day 02.04: Hello from Mountain View

Some interesting things came up for discussion. Here's a brief list for the future of Mozilla:

* a JavaScript compiler (I kid you not)
    * developer.mozilla.org (DevEdge Revisited, I think -- be nice to work for that in particular)
    * SVG optimization of the code
    * <script type="application/x-python"/> in XUL
    * JavaScript 2.0 is not dead
    * ForumZilla discussed for Mozilla Thunderbird... looked pretty cool, as exciting to me as DOM Inspector was at the last Dev Day I attended
    * A couple people asked for my serverpost binding (see my blog's archives for details), and my resume...
    * Did a little hobnobbing as well, going to meet with Christopher Aillon to discuss the future of DOM Inspector.
    "The first step to confirming there is a bug in someone else's work is confirming there are no bugs in your own."
    June 30, 2001
    author, ES-Membrane project (Github Pages site)
    author, Verbosio prototype XML Editor
    author, JavaScript Developer's Dictionary
    https://alexvincent.us/blog

Couple of questions for you:
    1. Do you know anything about the work being done on Epimetheus (Mozilla's JavaScript 2 engine)? I've tried to find a Win32 compiled version or someone with VC++ to compile it from source, in an effort to see what it's capable of.

2. The JavaScript compiler, will it be a bytecode compiler or a machine code compiler? If so, what engine will be used when compiling? It's be cool if one could use Rhino with it's continuations system (a lend-in from Scheme) or a version like that used by the cocoon project, where we have tail call elimination and thus true tail recursion.

3. Did they mention any possibility of python being supported as document scripting language a la JavaScript or VBScript, PERLScript, ActiveRuby?
    liorean <[[email protected]]>
    Articles: RegEx evolt wsabstract , Named Arguments
    Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
    Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

Comment

a JS compiler? sounds interesting. how would it work inbetween platforms though? a compiled JS wouldn't be browser viewable i'm assuming?
      photoshop too expensive? use the GIMP! www.gimp.org

Comment

Originally posted by liorean
        3. Did they mention any possibility of python being supported as document scripting language a la JavaScript or VBScript, PERLScript, ActiveRuby?
        I think that's the point. There already exists PyXPCOM for writing XPCOM objects in Python (as well as RbXPCOM for Ruby). In Windows, one of my Python books actually shows how to use Python in Windows as a replacement of Javascript via the Windows Scripting Host (IE-only), but all of the objects exposed to Javascript were also available in Python.
        jasonkarldavis.com

Comment

Originally posted by liorean
          Couple of questions for you:
          1. Do you know anything about the work being done on Epimetheus (Mozilla's JavaScript 2 engine)?
          Not a thing. I'm sad to say JS2 was only mentioned as a footnote during the Dev Day. I don't have any more information on the compiler.

Apparently not all the slides from Dev Day have been posted yet.
          http://www.mozilla.org/events/dev-day-feb-2004/
          The compiler I mentioned was touched on during Mr. Eich's talk.
          "The first step to confirming there is a bug in someone else's work is confirming there are no bugs in your own."
          June 30, 2001
          author, ES-Membrane project (Github Pages site)
          author, Verbosio prototype XML Editor
          author, JavaScript Developer's Dictionary
          https://alexvincent.us/blog

Comment

Working...
          X