Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect. . .

Hello -

I just thought it might be a cool idea to have some sort of "Respect Meter" That would allow you to judge \ rate a person post \ response \ question as you were reading it.

This would allow newer members to properly judge the level of aptitude of the person assisting with \ asking the question.

Reading through a few posts latley I was erked by the lack of respect given to someone who (too me because I had read other posts by the individual) obviosly knew what they were talking about.

Just a suggestion,
    Basscyst
    Helping to build a bigger box. - Adam Matthews

sounds like a cracking idea. i'll be betting you wron't even have to upgrade to VB3 to get it either
    photoshop too expensive? use the GIMP! www.gimp.org

Comment

sounds great, as long as there's a "sarcas-i-tron" meter that rates sarcasm...

5 s -will post a reply only to note that your code sucks, and you should never design anything for the web, not even your mother's personal page.

4 s -will post a reply with "what on earth do you need to do that for?"

3 s -will ask the same question, but might post a link to an obscure w3c page with the most relevance.

2 s -will post a solution, but then post 400 different things that need to change before the site will be deemed okay for public use (again, even with Mom's personal page).

1 -might actually post a solution, or helpful, understanding, relevant criticism. But then still make fun of your mother's personal page.

-Rich
      drums | web

Comment

Im not so sure that it would work too well.

Obviously, on here there are some extremely skilled coders and some coders that are just starting out, and some somewhere inbetween.

I think the problem could be when you get a new member, and then obviously at the start theres going to be less good ratings added, if at all. However when they start getting better, they could still be ranked very low due to the ranking they got when they were starting out... If that makes sense.

Onto some of your other points, Its the sort of thing that most people wouldnt bother with. Theres a rating system on this board for rating threads, but I have only seen about 3 rated threads on here ever.

And also, If people arenet going to show respect a little meter that states that the member is respected is likley to change anything. And if it did work it would almost be "the lower the rating, the less respect you have to give" which I dont think is fair on new members, some of whom are just as keen to learn as anyone else!

Just my $0.02
        (im british, umm... £0.02?)
        PHP Weekly - A PHP Developers Resource
        PHP 5.1.4 and Ruby on Rails web hosting
        Moderator of PHP and Work offers and Requests
        Install Apache/PHP/MySQL
        (by marek_mar) | TinyPlugin Architecture

Comment

Originally posted by missing-score
          Im not so sure that it would work too well.

Obviously, on here there are some extremely skilled coders and some coders that are just starting out, and some somewhere inbetween.

I think the problem could be when you get a new member, and then obviously at the start theres going to be less good ratings added, if at all. However when they start getting better, they could still be ranked very low due to the ranking they got when they were starting out... If that makes sense.

Onto some of your other points, Its the sort of thing that most people wouldnt bother with. Theres a rating system on this board for rating threads, but I have only seen about 3 rated threads on here ever.

And also, If people arenet going to show respect a little meter that states that the member is respected is likley to change anything. And if it did work it would almost be "the lower the rating, the less respect you have to give" which I dont think is fair on new members, some of whom are just as keen to learn as anyone else!

Just my $0.02
          (im british, umm... £0.02?)

+1

I take no responsibility for the above nonsense.

Left Justified

Comment

Originally posted by mindlessLemming
            +1
            ++

You can always send the poster a PM or reply to indicate how usefull you found the response. Or post in the nomination-thread http://www.codingforum.net/showthrea...threadid=24398
            Ultimitely, it's the threadstarters opinion/solved problem that matters the most.

I personally like a more personal approach then a grademeter.
            Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Yeah, I will agree it is one of those things that could cause more trouble than help, but it depends on how it was implemented. I won't go into too much detail as it's probably somthing that should be brainstormed between the people actually making the descision.

Originally posted by:missing-score
              That does make sense, if the number of posts actually reflected the level of aptitude of the user. But I was thinking - It would be nice to be able to have a list of each of your own posts and see what others thought of what you said - this could prevent the board from being riddled with "could you be more specifics" or "This post is in the wrong section" There is really know need for everyone to see that information. And it could may very well put off a more tentative member.

Also sometimes you read a post and it was just stated so nicely and you just want to put somthing like "well said". There's no need to bring that post all the way back from the grave just so you can say you enjoyed it. The person that wrote it however may disagree.

I suppose this could all be accomplished through PM but newer members probably arn't checking their PM's as frequently (if at all)as somthing directly related to the specific post they are waiting on.

Just somthing to toss around,

Basscyst
              Last edited by Basscyst; Feb 22, 2004, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Basscyst
                That does make sense, if the number of posts actually reflected the level of aptitude of the user. But I was thinking - It would be nice to be able to have a list of each of your own posts and see what others thought of what you said - this could prevent the board from being riddled with "could you be more specifics" or "This post is in the wrong section" There is really know need for everyone to see that information. And it could may very well put off a more tentative member.
                I do agree. I would often like to know what someone thought of my reply or post if they dont tell me. But bear in mind this forum has around 11,500 members, and 170,000 posts, which is only going to get bigger. So you get someone decides they want to know what people thought, and you could be creating alot of extra database strain. Say 30 people at once wanted to browse posts and ratings.

Originally posted by Basscyst
                Also sometimes you read a post and it was just stated so nicely and you just want to put somthing like "well said". There's no need to bring that post all the way back from the grave just so you can say you enjoyed it. The person that wrote it however may disagree.
                [/B]
                If thats the case, you could just say that it was a well stated question, which could also help other members form questions in the future, or you could rate the thread.

I would like it, i think it would be cool, but I dont think it would work and could use up alot of uneccesary space/bandwidth.
                PHP Weekly - A PHP Developers Resource
                PHP 5.1.4 and Ruby on Rails web hosting
                Moderator of PHP and Work offers and Requests
                Install Apache/PHP/MySQL
                (by marek_mar) | TinyPlugin Architecture

Comment

Ehh, Perhaps your right, Well Said.

Comment

The one forum has this an people start screaming if they are not given a ten for an answer.....It is more of an ego match.
                    Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint]

Comment

There won't be any hacks/mods as far as I know because once VB3 is stable the forums will be updated ... I'm sure that won't be that far off either.
                      Omnis mico antequam dominus Spookster!

Comment

We've had a system much like this running at SitePoint Forums for about 6 months now,and although it was initially popular (in terms of being used), nobody seems to rate other people's posts any more. This probably has something to do with the poor presentation of the ratings feature (a tiny icon that many might not notice), but fundamentally I think that after a while people lose interest in rating posts and just can't be bothered anymore. So posters like myself who often spend half an hour (or longer) tackling a difficult subject with a detailed post get no respect, while those who answer all the 10 second newbie questions get loads of points (probably because the thread openers are new to the forums and are therefore more inclined to give out ratings)!

There are plenty more flaws... for example, a newbie is unlikely to be able to distinguish between a difficult question that has got a stellar answer from a l33t coder, and a simpler question that has a simpler answer. He would probably rate both answers equally (if he does at all), whereas an impartial/objective/experienced observer might see it differently. This is significant because most (active) posters in forums like these are of beginner level, with far fewer intermediate and advanced.

So what are we trying to measure? If "respect" is really "thanks", as in "thanks for providing the solution to my problem", then perhaps it would be better if the thread creator (i.e. first poster) could choose a single post in the thread as being the "solution", which would then automatically give the poster of the solution a "thanks point" (or something). That way, your "respect" or "thanks" rating would directly correlate with the number of problems that you've solved. (There are some development forums I came across a while ago that work this way, but I can't remember what the site was called...)

But that approach also has plenty of problems - what if the solution was derived from posts by multiple members? Does each member get a point? Do they get a fraction of a point each? How would you enforce posters designating the solution? etc. etc.

And naturally, both systems could be systematically exploited/abused by a member to raise his score...

In short, while it does indeed sound like a nice idea, I haven't seen (or heard of) a system that's actually workable.
                        Marcus Tucker / www / blog
                        Web Analyst Programmer / Voted SPF "ASP Guru"

Comment

Hmm. I often see that threadstarters don't see who offerd 'the sollution'.
                          - A lott of them are just looking for a few lines of code that will 'solve' their problem but this is not always the same as a sollution.(A clasical dialog : "How do i get rid of this error?" --> "Turn of errorreporting." )

- A lott of otherers simply don't understand the suggested sollution. A scroll down or wait till someone posts some code or a link with code or whatever.

There's a good dutch saying about this : "Wat baten kaars en bril als den uil niet ziene wil" ---> "What good are candles and glasses if the owl doesn't wanna look."

And anyway, if you're realy hoping for respect and thank you's, then youll be frustrated anyhow after some time. It doesn't matter what system you would use to replace the simple 'thank you' replyes or PM's. I realy don't see why this should be standardised or measuer or whatever. Same goes for all these ratingsystems do determine how big of an expert a member is. What counts is each individual reply to someones problem. It would be stupid to value someones reply more because the poster has more posts/mana/magical stars or whatever nonsens.

I've seen some 'rookies' or 'newbies' making great posts, like you [email protected] when you started out here, and you got instant recognision and your post were valued from the start on.

Every sensible person doesn't pay attention to these ratings.
                          Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Originally posted by raf
                            Hmm. I often see that threadstarters don't see who offerd 'the sollution'.
                            - A lott of them are just looking for a few lines of code that will 'solve' their problem but this is not always the same as a sollution.(A clasical dialog : "How do i get rid of this error?" --> "Turn of errorreporting." )

- A lott of otherers simply don't understand the suggested sollution. A scroll down or wait till someone posts some code or a link with code or whatever.
                            Indeed.

Originally posted by raf
                            There's a good dutch saying about this : "Wat baten kaars en bril als den uil niet ziene wil" ---> "What good are candles and glasses if the owl doesn't wanna look."
                            Wat leuk! Die ken ik niet!

Originally posted by raf
                            What counts is each individual reply to someones problem. It would be stupid to value someones reply more because the poster has more posts/mana/magical stars or whatever nonsens.
                            Again, I agree. One could say that it might help the person with the problem determine which answer is the best solution, but I'd say that this usually comes out in the thread. If I disagree with some advice that is given, I will question it, and likewise. Usually a consensus will be reached. Then the answer is clear.

<off-topic>
                            Originally posted by raf
                            I've seen some 'rookies' or 'newbies' making great posts, like you [email protected] when you started out here, and you got instant recognision and your post were valued from the start on.
                            When *I* say "newbie" I mean someone at a beginner level in the language/topic of discussion, not a newcomer to the forums. (I've been ASP'ing for quite some time - see my CV! )
                            </off-topic>
                            Marcus Tucker / www / blog
                            Web Analyst Programmer / Voted SPF "ASP Guru"

Comment

Working...
                            X