Drafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafts

When the software saves your post during topic construction, does it save a copy someplace that users have access in a temp file...

Im just curious if i typed a long topic and then i forgot to post it, and left the page, would it be saved somewhere that i coud access it and reclaim it?
    If a php file only has php code within it you do not need to use the closing php tag
    A good way to remember objects from arrays is you shoot objects with arrows Example: $name->id; then Arrays are $name['id'];
    durangod is short for durango dave

I’m not sure but I suppose it’s stored in some kind of cookie or in localStorage or something like that. Inspecting the restore link, it shows the function:
    Code:
    function(event) {
    CKEDITOR.plugins.autosave.commands.restore(editor);
    return false;
    }
    in https://www.codingforum.net/js/ckeditor-rollup-561.js

And inspecting the code in that file further, it seems like it saves the content at vBulletin.getAjaxBaseurl() + '/ajax/api/editor/autosave' but I don’t know what getAjaxBaseurl() is returning. Loading https://www.codingforum.net/ajax/api/editor/autosave just returns an error message about the wrong HTTP method. But yeah, there you go.
    Stop solving problems you don’t yet have!

Comment

So basically there is no way to get it back... well not without coding in a special custom process. Oh well no biggy, ill just chalk it up to experience... Thanks for checking it out...
      If a php file only has php code within it you do not need to use the closing php tag
      A good way to remember objects from arrays is you shoot objects with arrows Example: $name->id; then Arrays are $name['id'];
      durangod is short for durango dave

Comment

Originally posted by VIPStephan View Post
        I’m not sure but I suppose it’s stored in some kind of cookie or in localStorage or something like that. Inspecting the restore link, it shows the function:
        It would have to be ajax'ed to the server, because cookies are limited to 4k and localstorage to 5k, unsuitable in both cases for the saving of drafts.

Given the TORRENT of JavaScript errors the editor is vomiting up here in the console, and how broken everything about it is (see trying to post code), maybe it's time to double-check the file integrity of ckEditor and/or try backing off to a vanilla install?

Hmm... I wonder if all this stuff is broken in the default skin like it is in the custom. Might be a simple case of "don't tug on that, you don't know where it's connected". I've been having that issue in my soon to be installed SMF theme where my markup is so radically different from the default, NO off the shelf extensions or mods are compatible with it... which is why I've not deployed it yet. Kind of like ACTUALLY fixing wordpress' problems breaks the entire modding system much less forward compatibility.

I'll kill you and your dreams tonight, begin new life.
        Bleed your death upon me, let your bloodline feed my youth.
        https://cutcodedown.com

Comment

DeathShadow,

It would have to be ajax'ed to the server, because cookies are limited to 4k and localstorage to 5k, unsuitable in both cases for the saving of drafts.
          I just done a quick search and localStorage is way more than 5K

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...85019#33085019

Last edited by JOhn_Betong; Jun 29, 2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOhn_Betong View Post
            I just done a quick search and localStorage is way more than 5K
            oops, yer right, meant MB not K. (cookies are kb). Though apparently it differs by browser? I was told 5MB and that's it. Looks like most desktops provide 10MB, and IE provides 120k... though the IE data is conflicting.

Dimes to dollars IE is using a % of available disk space with a limit of 10mb. I'd have to test that. Might even be a total pool size you get a % of, then it starts flushing. M$ loves doing stuff like that.

If the data were in localStorage, it should be as simple to access as just opening up the document inspector, then going to "storage" in FF or "application" in Chrome-likes.

But with LS being so new, and vBull being so old, I really doubt it does anything with local storage... well, it's as easy as opening the document inspector. I just had the litlte "auto saved" thing flash that doesn't seem to do anything apart from log an error, and there's no change in LS or cookies.

Weird part is what's failing seems to be attempts to access statcounter.com and that googleTagManager rubbish. ERR_TIMEOUT as the auto-save seems to be triggering on both of them at every request... though earlier on in the logs they're failing ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT which is CORRECT since I'm running ghostery because **** user tracking sleaze... so is the install of CKEditor here somehow tied to the stats tracking?

Of course the way it endlessly vomits up information to the console whilst typing a reply, it's no wonder I can't leave a tab with editing going on for any real length of time.
            I'll kill you and your dreams tonight, begin new life.
            Bleed your death upon me, let your bloodline feed my youth.
            https://cutcodedown.com

Comment

Working...
            X