Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Intel says microchips will be as hot as the sun in 2010 - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel says microchips will be as hot as the sun in 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel says microchips will be as hot as the sun in 2010

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/20/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Hmm.

But the concept of transistors MUST end!

Computational information on the subatomic level can take place in so many other ways.

Tell me this non-bio people, why don't computers use the mimicing ability of genes to hold information....

or why don't they retain information through the static properties?

transistors - what a joke.

You should read up on the publicly available info about IBM's Quantum computing research.........
    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/943731

They're even researching quantum teleportation...yes I said teleportation.
    http://www.research.ibm.com/quantumi...ion/index.html
    Last edited by black3842; Apr 22, 2004, 04:23 PM.
    Jason B

Comment

Hmmm. That link gives me a 404.
      Stevie Peele
      Neverside IRC Network - irc.veonex.net | tc.tutorialnetwork.org
      #dev - any programming,etc. question
      #design - design discussion and critque
      #central - general chat
      Come join us!

Comment

Mystery Man's link gave me a 404 too....but my links should work....
        Last edited by black3842; Apr 22, 2004, 04:34 PM.
        Jason B

Comment

I doubt that they will be as hot as the sun. The potential for heat from microchips to get to an unsustainable level is plenty cause to chnage the way we make them, and we are an inventive bunch, our rate of technological advance is accelerating all the time so I'm sure we'll change that.

Glass processors (I think I know where the article is now) supposedly would eliminate this ...
          Omnis mico antequam dominus Spookster!

Comment

The IBM PPC970 needed 9 fans, how many will they need?
            Geoffrey Sneddon

Comment

hrm. hot as the sun? i read once that a pin head as hot as the sun would kill you a kilometer away
              photoshop too expensive? use the GIMP! www.gimp.org

Comment

lol, reminds me (for some reason) of that story about the telecommunications guy who had a nightshift on christmas.. he sat infront of the transmissions dish to warm himself because it was particularily cold...anywho he fell asleep and was cooked by the microwaves! The next shift thought he had a roast until he found him .. Winner of a Darwin award I think.
                Omnis mico antequam dominus Spookster!

Comment

1. 20 ton AC unit
                  2. A cooling system from a MAC truck

Sorry - couldn't resist the comment
                  Bnuts40

Comment

Originally posted by Error 404
                    Corection: the IBM PPC 970 need no more fans and heatsinks than the AMD Athlon XP does. Have a look at custom PPC 970 systems, and you'll see that actually, the PPC 970 is slightly cooler. The reason Apple placed 9 fans on the PowerMac G5 was not from cooling necessity - it was sound levels. Note that the 9 slow fans of the PowerMac G5 provides a rather good airflow on the system level, while the MASSIVE heatsink and the two orthogonal fans connected to the heatsink provide a lower airflow than that of most PC systems. No, the PowerMac G5 is virtually silent (it's noise levels are below the margin of hearing for humans), and the mechanism used for getting it that quiet is large numbers of slow fans instead of one or two fast fans.
                    liorean <[[email protected]]>
                    Articles: RegEx evolt wsabstract , Named Arguments
                    Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
                    Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

Comment

So, you mean that 2 fast fans would be loud (very unMacish), compared to 9 slow fans with the same cooling power output and do you know whether the PPC970-FX will need less fans with it using less power?
                      Geoffrey Sneddon

Comment

Working...
                      X