Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter What language/environment should I use for this scenario? - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What language/environment should I use for this scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What language/environment should I use for this scenario?

Hi everyone!

So essentially I have an art project that I need some advice with.
    I'm not looking for specific coding advice, but rather an opinion on what language i should work with on this project.

The end product will be a Browser-style application that runs on PC (maybe MAC at some point too) that only displays certain web pages that I have created. I need a hand built browser as, firstly the pages it displays need to be mine and mine only and secondly, the browser needs to react to certain actions triggered by the user on the web pages.

It needs to have a pseudo email client that sends 'messages' to the user at specific times, usually triggered by an action on a web page. The 'browser' also needs to change what page is displayed when the user triggers actions on pages. All of this needs to work offline with the web pages packaged with the browser application.

I have herd from a programmer friend of mine that C# is good for this sort of thing as browser building is really easy in MVS. I'm pretty good with HTML CSS and JAVASCRIPT so the 'web-pages' are not a problem to build. its more the pseudo browser and its ability to trigger events via interactions on the web pages.
    I have some experience with C style languages and i'm willing to put the hours in to learn a specific one that would work best for this sort of task.

Thanks and sorry for the long post (wanted to make sure that it was a detailed as possible)

your browser already handles triggered events via java script via interaction from user so i don't understand why you need a "psuedo browser" to handle this.

Comment

Originally posted by gezer4000 View Post
      I have herd from a programmer friend of mine that C# is good for this sort of thing as browser building is really easy in MVS. I'm pretty good with HTML CSS and JAVASCRIPT so the 'web-pages' are not a problem to build. its more the pseudo browser and its ability to trigger events via interactions on the web pages.
      I have some experience with C style languages and i'm willing to put the hours in to learn a specific one that would work best for this sort of task.
      I would say the WebBrowser control in C# is your best best for this sort of web browser automation surrounded by a WinForms app with buttons, etc. There are probably similar controls in Java, but I don't know of any off-hand as I'm not a Java programmer. The one built into C# is uses some part of the Internet Explorer engine, and therefore makes use of the same group policies and settings as IE does. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your goal. It's also a major pain in the *** to debug, as all of the properties are some sort of COM interface and don't work properly in the debugger. This is really only a problem if you're trying to hook into arbitrarily deep nests of DOM objects. For your own custom webpages, you can simply set "id" or "class" attributes on the tag(s) you want to access and avoid the ambiguous DOM traversal nightmares.

"WebBrowser" documentation can be found here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.110).aspx

Comment

Working...
      X