Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Programming!

Hello everyone!
    Hey guys. My name is Jason and I'm new to these forums. I'm working on an assigment for my intro to programming class and I was told to find a forum, podcast, or computing newsgroup. I stumbled upon this site and like what I see. These bulletin board sites are very easy to use and offer alot of advice when you start digging around. Anyways, I was meaning to ask if any of you have any tips for me? This semester we are going to get into Python, but next semester I am looking forward to doing some Java or C++. What would you guys recommend I jump into first? I don't have much experience so I'm wondering which is a better stepping stone for the other.
    Thanks for your time everyone!

You should go for C then C++ and then java.

Comment

Start learning from C++, learn the basics of coding and Object Oriented Programing in c++. After learning C++ basic coding and OOP, start learning Java. Java is difficult to learn as compared to other programming languages. So, it is better to learn an easy language first and then move to the difficult language. C++ is an easy language, you can easily learn it.
      But there are some developers that start learning from java because it is difficult to code in java. After learning java C++, .NET and PHP look easier. It would be better for you, if you learn advanced programming in one language rather than learning the basics in different languages.
      Classic PDF Editor|| Best PDF Converter

Comment

You are beginner in programing so first start with C, C++ , then Java.

Comment

I don't know if this will help but this is my experience learning programming. I was given a government sponsored training on programming. It was way back 1973. The training was 2 months long.

The first two weeks, we were taught block diagrams. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_block_diagram. Once we understood the basics, we then were taught flowcharting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowchart. After that, we were taught pseudo code. The second month, we were taught COBOL. The advantage of COBOL is it was really english like.

Say you need to compute tax. In Cobol, the syntax is IF GROSS GREATER 10000 THEN MOVE 10 TO PERCENT_TO_TAX. It was then very easy to move from pseudo code to actual COBOL syntax.

I am not saying you need to learn cobol. Learn the basics of Flow charting. One you've mastered that, you can apply what you have learned to any language.

From zero knowledge of programming, we were hired by the government as programmers after only 2 months of training.

Comment

Working...
          X