Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter eMachine model 370 requires more RAM (1.8GHz 60Gb 256MB) - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eMachine model 370 requires more RAM (1.8GHz 60Gb 256MB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eMachine model 370 requires more RAM (1.8GHz 60Gb 256MB)

Hi All,

i am writing to ask for help. I have been asked by someone to upgrade their machine.
    What they have is:

eMachines Model 370
    1.8GHz Intel Celeron CPU
    60Gb UDMA HDD
    256MB DDR RAM

What i have suggested is getting a 512MB stick of RAM and putting it in and then i'd AdAware/SpyBot/AV it - you know, the usual. However, after doing some Google searches I think I have found out that it used PC2100 DDR RAM. Can anyone confirm this? As i wouldn't like to buy RAM for someone and then it doesnt work.

Also, is there anything else I can do to speed it up a bit. They are not looking to purchase a new PC, hence the upgrade. All they do with it is surf, chat and listen to music, but I was using it today and it is CRAAAAAAAAWLING!

Any help appreciated.
    Picco
    Zend Certified Engineer | Ayrshire Minis - a Mini E-Community | Ayrshire-Based Web Developer

If it uses DDR, then its most likely PC2100 but if you were to put some thing faster in like PC2700, it would just run at PC2100 speeds.

If the system has never been re-installed since it was new and there is a lot of adware/spyware on the system, you may want to consider just reloading the OS after you upgrade the memory. It might make a big difference.
    OracleGuy

Comment

Hi oracleguy, thanks for your reply.

I have found this link now:
      http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...=370&submit=Go
      and it seems to say that it takes PC2700. What is the situation for me installing a PC2100 stick if this is the case?? The reason I am asking is because I am bidding (and winning) one on eBay at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1

What do you think?

Picco
      Zend Certified Engineer | Ayrshire Minis - a Mini E-Community | Ayrshire-Based Web Developer

Comment

also what operating system are you using? if windows xp then yes perhaps a bit more ram would speed it up.

if all they really use it for is the internet, it is probably likely that your problem lies within the hard-drive.. not meaning to buy a hard-drive with more space but perhaps the harddrive itself is probably really fragmented, windows errors, registry errors, hard-disk errors, spyware, the works..

Like oracle guy said a clean install would most likely lead to a faster system. what I like to do with all my systems is do a clean install, run a defragment on the harddrive and then make a backup via norton ghost. so when i put the back-up in again its already defragmented, free of errors and runs like a champ.

also its a good idea to make a "storage" or "archive" partition to store all of your personal files in.. so when you need to format and put the back-up in, you wont lose any of your personal files.
        Last edited by ubik; Oct 2, 2006, 01:21 PM.
        "True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
        -Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by crmpicco View Post
          Hi oracleguy, thanks for your reply.

I have found this link now:
          http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...=370&submit=Go
          and it seems to say that it takes PC2700. What is the situation for me installing a PC2100 stick if this is the case??
          Then the RAM that is in there now will probably slow down to the slowest stuff but that might depend on the board. I know it usually always works the other way around though.

You could always pull the stick of memory that is in there now out and physically look at it to see what speed it is.
          OracleGuy

Comment

any other ideas?

i am going to be doing some tweaking tonight, what should I change/remove/add to make it run as fast as possible?

Comment

What is your memory bus speed? If it is faster than pc 2100 then i would put pc3200 512mb ram in it and remove the 256mb.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeseboy View Post
                What is your memory bus speed? If it is faster than pc 2100 then i would put pc3200 512mb ram in it and remove the 256mb.
                I seriously doubt an old 1.8Ghz celeron has a 400mhz FSB.
                OracleGuy

Comment

help

i have emachine370 want to use it for video editing pls i need more advice on building the system such as the ram harddisk and processor

Comment

Originally posted by wockinor View Post
                    i have emachine370 want to use it for video editing pls i need more advice on building the system such as the ram harddisk and processor
                    It was a crappy computer 5 years ago, today it is worthless. There is no point in trying to upgrade portions of it, just replace the entire computer.
                    OracleGuy

Comment

Reinstall the operating system,
                      upgrade ram,

Install,

Microsoft Security Essentials,.
                      Syware search and destroy
                      anti malware
                      Hijackthis

do windows updates

Everything should run sweetly then

the recommended ram for windows xp is 512 minimum requirment is 256 but we all knows XP loves anything over 1.5GB

hope this helps
                      SteveO

Comment

Working...
                      X