Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 hard drives 2 os systems

Hi,
    I just bought a new PC and am wondering if I can put my old pc's hard drive in a slave. Both hard drives have XP on them.

The reason I want to do this is I have info on the old drive that I need but the motherboard for the old PC burnt out (hence the new pc).

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by buytamra; Sep 27, 2006, 08:46 PM. Reason: said the wrong hookup

Yes you can do that. Windows will boot off the master drive. As far as windows is concerned your other drive will just be another harddrive with files on it. So you can retrieve your data with no worries. Do you have any experience adding or replacing hard drives or do you need help with that?
    Spookster
    CodingForum Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you for the repsonse! I have limited experience with it. I know I will plug it into the connector in the middle of the ribbon cable. Will I need to readjust jumpers on the old hard drive?

Comment

Possibly. Setting the jumpers are easy though. The hard drive usually has a diagram on it on where to put the jumper. The one that is in there already will probably already be set to master. For the second hard drive just put the little plastic piece over the pins that indicate slave based on the diagram.
        Spookster
        CodingForum Supreme Overlord
        All Hail Spookster

Comment

Working...
        X