No announcement yet.

32-bit or 64-bit - what would you get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32-bit or 64-bit - what would you get?

32 bit(Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon™ XP 3000) or 64 bit (G5, AMD Athlon64 3200+), whoch would you get?

I would get a 64-bit processor. In form of a PPC 970 (top of the range) because,
    • I prefer macs
    • It's one of the most powerful processors in the world
    32-bit
    41.67%
    64-bit
    50.00%
    Not Sure
    8.33%
    Last edited by gsnedders; Feb 18, 2004, 07:57 PM.
    Geoffrey Sneddon

I would do an intel only because I don't think there is any real need for a 64bit yet. Make up for it with a graphics card. I would personally do a intel 32bit cpu with a 800mhz fsb

Jason

Comment

I'd get a dual PPC 970, but that's just because they are way cool...
      liorean <[[email protected]]>
      Articles: RegEx evolt wsabstract , Named Arguments
      Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
      Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

Comment

Well, to me the real question is why do you need that type of processing power???

Seems all to often, comp geeks suffer from what I call the "Tim Allen Effect" (Home Improvement - TV Show in the US) where they think they need the biggest, baddest, most powerful computer to run their text editor.

Fact is, for most normal apps a 500 Mhz proc works just fine. Its only when you start gaming or using the box as a heavy load server that you need something faster.

Just my $0.02
        Create accessible online surveys -::- Koobten.com - compare netbook prices and reviews -::- Affordable, reliable hosting for less than $20 per year
        Zend Certified Engineer

Comment

Fact is, for most normal apps a 500 Mhz proc works just fine. Its only when you start gaming or using the box as a heavy load server that you need something faster
          I totally agree. Even for gaming only up until recently did any game require anything more than a 32mb video card with a 400mhz processor. (might have be a little sluggish at times but it would play) They totally started pumping out video cards and processors that made little to no difference to the applications that were actually run.

My 1\2 cent.

Basscyst
          Helping to build a bigger box. - Adam Matthews

Comment

I wouldn't get a 64-bit system for at least a year... let it come down in price and for the 64-bit version of xp to be released.
            OracleGuy

Comment

I would (and am planning on) going 64bit. Most likely FX-51 or 3400+ (or whatever is better at the time) ...

I would do an intel only because I don't think there is any real need for a 64bit yet. Make up for it with a graphics card. I would personally do a intel 32bit cpu with a 800mhz fsb
              The FX-51 and 3400+ are both 800Mhz are they not? On value for money, AMD has intel kicked. The price on a 3400+ is better than the price on a 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition P4.

IMO it just depends on your budget. But seeing as we are being hypothetical here, you can't surpass a 3400+ or FX-51. For gaming that is. Dual Opteron for server hehe.

I think the most interesting thing to come this year will be PCI Express.. As far as I'm aware, the market competitors are all having a really small transition to it. ATI I know are only having 1 more card without PCI Express and all cards after that, for this year at least will be released as both PCI Express and AGP 8x, most likely the AGP versions will cost a little more next year in comparison to the PCI Express versions.
              Omnis mico antequam dominus Spookster!

Comment

well... I'm using Pro-Tools 6.2 LE, whose functionality is only limited by processing power. 64bit G5 it is...

-Rich
                drums | web

Comment

Originally posted by Mhtml
                  I think the most interesting thing to come this year will be PCI Express.. As far as I'm aware, the market competitors are all having a really small transition to it. ATI I know are only having 1 more card without PCI Express and all cards after that, for this year at least will be released as both PCI Express and AGP 8x, most likely the AGP versions will cost a little more next year in comparison to the PCI Express versions.
                  I agree. PCI-X is supposed to come out around April. I wouldn't buy a new video card until it comes out unless you plan on keeping it for a really long time.
                  OracleGuy

Comment

And the new socket processors will be out around the same time as well I believe.

May will be a good month to upgrade if you don't want to wait around I think.
                    Omnis mico antequam dominus Spookster!

Comment

My brother IMd me last night because he got his 64 bit in. Well, I would agree with oracleguy and waiting a year or so. From what he told me it is pretty unstable and is doing some strange things. If you get one now I think it is more of "My bits are bigger then yours".
                      does this sig match?

Comment

PCI-X is already on the PowerMac G5s
                        Geoffrey Sneddon

Comment

Originally posted by Mhtml
                          May will be a good month to upgrade if you don't want to wait around I think.
                          Yeah, just don't do any major upgrades until then. So don't go out and buy a 500$ graphics card cuz it will be almost worthless in two short months.

Here is a good thing on PCI-X: http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1830

On page 8 they even show a mockup for a motherboard that is designed for that new case standard to replace ATX over the next few years. The motherboard will be mounted on the other side than in ATX.
                          Last edited by oracleguy; Feb 25, 2004, 06:23 PM.
                          OracleGuy

Comment

You cant expect alot of 64-bit programs to come out, if no one will buy 64bit.

you wont buy #1, because theres no #2. companies wont make #2, because no one buys #1.

Buy 64-chips, and eventualy it will catch on.
                            If I'm postin here, I NEED YOUR HELP!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ultragames
                              Buy 64-chips, and eventualy it will catch on.
                              Heh, people prolly said the samething about VESA.

I'm not saying it is hopeless but it will take time to see if they really catch on. So they have to become affordable and reliable.
                              OracleGuy

Comment

Working...
                              X