Can't Delete Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Delete Folder

For some reason, I followed a tutorial to create 'a truly hidden' folder. I created a folder, and instead of giving it a name, I used a non-breaking space (Alt+0160 or Alt+255).

After making said folder, I tried to delete it - but nothing happened. I tried using Command Prompt, but it says '...Documents, are you sure?' instead of '...Documents\<NBSP>, are you sure?' - so I am worried it will delete my entire My Documents folder instead. Backing up this folder seems to take ages, as the time remaining keeps going up and up (not sure why that is - I must have a large file somewhere I forgot about).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I want to delete this folder. How do I go about doing this?

Any and all help is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Geodesic_D; Aug 17, 2011, 05:58 PM.
    Geodesic_D
    "I'd much rather be called GeodesicDragon."

Why should it work in cmd if it doesn't in explorer, I think you should try with chkdsk if it's an illegal name... Or maybe you can try with admin-privileges, or you can try from another OS...

Comment

Originally posted by bruce965 View Post
      Why should it work in cmd if it doesn't in explorer, I think you should try with chkdsk if it's an illegal name... Or maybe you can try with admin-privileges, or you can try from another OS...
      The same guide I used to create the folder said that I could use Command Prompt to delete it, but I don't want to try for the reasons specified in my original post.
      Geodesic_D

Comment

run Windows in safe mode then

Select the folder and Press "Shift + Del "

Comment

There is a freeware program I use called Unlocker I use to delete troublesome files. Sometimes a file won't delete because it's being used by another process or something. See if that works.

Comment

Originally posted by sarkarijob View Post
            run Windows in safe mode then

Select the folder and Press "Shift + Del "
            I'll give it a try.

Originally posted by Habbakuk View Post
            There is a freeware program I use called Unlocker I use to delete troublesome files. Sometimes a file won't delete because it's being used by another process or something. See if that works.
            I don't trust programs like that. They're usually full of viruses and other nasty things.
            Geodesic_D

Comment

Well, if you don't trust Unlocker, how about a live version of Linux? That always seems to work for me.

Just as an aside, if you're worried about Unlocker having viruses, why were you using control codes in a directory name. Nothing about that sounds safe :P ... not expecting an answer to that

Comment

Originally posted by M.Jackson View Post
                Well, if you don't trust Unlocker, how about a live version of Linux? That always seems to work for me.
                I've got a copy of Knoppix lying around somewhere. That might do it.

Originally posted by M.Jackson View Post
                Just as an aside, if you're worried about Unlocker having viruses, why were you using control codes in a directory name. Nothing about that sounds safe :P ... not expecting an answer to that
                I've never heard stories of control codes in directory names causing viruses. I only did it to see if it could be done. If I'd have known it would cause me this much trouble, I wouldn't have bothered.
                Geodesic_D

Comment

I use a software called unlocker. It is the best software i have ever used to delete files.

Comment

Working...
                  X