Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Spare, unwanted disk drive places created when Vista installed.. - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spare, unwanted disk drive places created when Vista installed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolved Spare, unwanted disk drive places created when Vista installed..

EDIT: The spare positions are for the card readers on my Dell PC. The penny suddenly dropped when I woke up and read the manual.

When I think of the number of times that I told my clients to do just that; I blush!

If in doubt; READ THE MANUAL>

Frank.

When I last installed Vista Ultimate, I landed up with the two main hard disk drives "C" and"D" plus the CD/DVD drive "F" and the recovery partition, "E" also the removeable drives "H","I" "J" "K".

All that I expected for the removable drives was "F" and "G" as the usb.

Can I put this right, and if so, how?

Thanks for any help.

Frank
    Last edited by effpeetee; Apr 13, 2009, 10:07 AM.
    * Sources (updated: 21.11.2012.
    Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

That tends to happen if your machine has support for a lot of disks that you may never use or your USB slots are all connected as a USB mass storage device. For example, mine has a slot for firewire, an SD card and a "microdrive" (whatever that is), so they all show up as removable disks E:\ through H:\. I've never used them, but they're there.

But yes, I have the same problem. I'm not sure if you actually have the USB mass device like I do, but it would explain why there are randomly extra disks.

---

EDIT: Didn't see that you had resolved the issue. Every machine is different, so I was throwing in my two cents. Good to see you've found the problem, and yes, I think we all need to learn to read manuals a bit more.
    Last edited by Shinykirby; Apr 13, 2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

We live and learn. Well at least we live!

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Frank
      * Sources (updated: 21.11.2012.
      Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

Comment

Working...
      X