Wireless router and XC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolved Wireless router and XC

Okay, I set up the wireless router on my Vista PC, ok no problem, I decided I'd rather use Windows XP instead of vista on this certain PC. Problem, With Vista it automatically recognised the hardware and boom automatically connected me to the web, with XP no such luck, installed the router no problem, connect all the wires correctly as instructed by the ISP (BSKYB) and nothing, no LAN connection (which it should be).
    Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rafiki.

Sorry don't know how the C got in the title rather than the P
    Last edited by rafiki; Apr 8, 2009, 01:28 PM.

Just to be clear are you connecting your PC to your Wireless router via ethernet or wireless connection? Your post is confusing.

If you are connecting via ethernet there is no hardwawre to detect. If you are connecting via wireless then you will have hardware via either an internal wireless card or an external USB ethernet adapter. In either case you need to make sure you have installed the drivers and software for it. And then you have the option of either allowing WindowsXP control the wireless connection or use the software that came with the hardware.
    Spookster
    CodingForum Supreme Overlord
    All Hail Spookster

Comment

Ethernet cable, its set up the exactly the same and the router is working because my laptop is able to wirelessly use the connection (How I'm posting) but the desktop isn't getting any connection!
      Thanks,
      Rafiki

Comment

When you go to the control panel / network connections what do you see? Should be an icon for a LAN connection. Does it have a red x in it? Or does it say it is connected?
        Spookster
        All Hail Spookster

Comment

There is two connections, niether being LAN connections. One is WAN miniport (PPPOE) the other is 1394 Net Adaptor.
          Thanks.
          Rafiki.

Comment

Whoops my bad, I forgot to check the device manager and I have found out that there are no drivers installed, how can I find out what make or model it is to get the correct drivers?
            Thanks.
            Rafiki.

Comment

Originally posted by rafiki View Post
              Whoops my bad, I forgot to check the device manager and I have found out that there are no drivers installed, how can I find out what make or model it is to get the correct drivers?
              Thanks.
              Rafiki.
              You can use the System Information application to find out what you have or open the case and look. Windows is usually very good about detecting NICs and installing at least a compatible driver for it. You said Vista found it then XP shouldn't have had any problems. Is this ethernet port part of the motherboard or on a seperate PCI based NIC? You can tell by looking at where the port is in the back.
              Spookster
              All Hail Spookster

Comment

It was onboard, and as it was factory made by Acer I went to there site and put in the pc model and it directed me to the drivers available, took a couple of attempts as they have a few lan versions OS dependent so for people looking to fix things like this in future always check the manufactures website first... I could of saved loads of time!
                Thanks though Spookster for your time and effort.
                Rafiki.

Comment

Working...
                X