Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Can I receive my existing email addresses when using Google mail. - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I receive my existing email addresses when using Google mail.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolved Can I receive my existing email addresses when using Google mail.

Can I receive my existing email addresses when using Google mail. I do not want to change my existing addresses but would like to receive them via Gmail. Can this be done?

I have tried Google mail help, but I cannot find the answer. Any help or pointers welcomed. I very much lie the possibility of keeping my emails indefinitely on someone elses storage.

Frank
    Last edited by effpeetee; Apr 7, 2009, 07:57 AM.
    * Sources (updated: 21.11.2012.
    Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

Are you trying to export your address book from Gmail?
    Digitalocean Cloud Hosting (Referral link - get $10 free credit) Fameco

Comment

Originally posted by abduraooft View Post
      No, not particularly, abduraooft. I want to continue using my existing btinternet addresses, (I have four), but process them using Gmail. Trying to get the best of both worlds, as always!.

Frank.
      Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

Comment

So basically, you need emails sent to your existing addresses forwarded to the gmail account?

Once forwarded the emails will be stored on gmail's servers, however you will still have the original on your existing addresses. So you will still need to maintain the bt addresses to clear up storage.

Originally posted by http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/about_whatsnew.html
        Get mail from other accounts
        Now Gmail can check for the mail you receive at your other email accounts. You can retrieve your mail (new and old) from up to five other email accounts and have them all in Gmail. Then you can even create a customized 'From:' address, which lets you send messages from Gmail, but have them look like they were sent from another one of your email accounts. Please note that you can only retrieve mail from accounts that have POP3 access enabled.
        http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=21288

Its gmails forwarding service, however your existing emails must be able to support POP3 and have it enabled.

Comment

This seems to be just what I need. Many thanks. 'Nick1988' from 'Frank 1925'.

Comment

Originally posted by effpeetee View Post
            This seems to be just what I need. Many thanks. 'Nick1988' from 'Frank 1925'.
            Haha, no worries mate.

Comment

You can also set it up so you can send mail from inside gmail as those different accounts.
              OracleGuy

Comment

Originally posted by oracleguy View Post
                You can also set it up so you can send mail from inside gmail as those different accounts.
                effpeetee: Incase you are interested in what oracleguy suggested:
                http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=22370

Until today, I never realised about the majority of what gmail can now do.

Whats New!

Comment

Yes, thank you all. I have it set up to send and receive my existing accounts. The only outstanding thing is I cannot find a Get email button anywhere. Am I going blind or perhaps daft? Please don't say both.

Frank

Comment

Once you've set up Mail Fetcher, Google will check your other accounts on a regular basis, and new mail will appear automatically in Gmail. Gmail checks individual accounts for new messages at different rates, depending on previous mail fetch attempts. At this time you can't customize the frequency of automatic mail fetches.
                    and:

Delivery of fetched messages may occur up to an hour after a successful fetch attempt. The View history window on your Accounts tab will display the last five attempts to fetch mail from your other email accounts, but it won't show the time when those messages reached Gmail. If you see a recent fetch attempt but can't yet see the messages that were retrieved, please check again in a few minutes.

If the account from which Gmail is fetching mail doesn't receive mail at frequent intervals, Gmail will check for new messages less often. You can always force Gmail to check for new messages by following the steps below:

Sign in to Gmail.
                    Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page, and open the Accounts tab.
                    In the Get mail from other accounts: section, click Check mail now.
                    If you just mean to check if you have new mail: Gmail refreshes automatically. Not sure on the frequency.
                    EDIT: I sent a test mail from my work to my personal, by the time I wrote this post, gmail had refreshed itself and picked it up.

And now it is time to go home (hooray), night
                    Last edited by nick1988; Apr 7, 2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nick1988 View Post
                      and: If you just mean to check if you have new mail: Gmail refreshes automatically. Not sure on the frequency.
                      EDIT: I sent a test mail from my work to my personal, by the time I wrote this post, gmail had refreshed itself and picked it up.

And now it is time to go home (hooray), night
                      I find everything is as you state. So far I am impressed with Gmail.

My thanks to all.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                      X