Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter I now have Windows 7 in a Virtual PC - but........ - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I now have Windows 7 in a Virtual PC - but........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now have Windows 7 in a Virtual PC - but........

I now have Windows 7 in a Virtual PC. (Thank you Aero.) Is it possible or desirable to access the programs etc on the main PC?

One touch that I did like was that it is possible to feed in an iso file without using a CD as an intermediary.

If, when in virtual mode I instal one of the existing main PC programs to the virtual PC, will it cause any problems?

Thanks for any help. I am dead ignorant of this subject.
    Unfortunately, I have an eighteen year old's outlook and inquisitiveness in an eighty-three year old shell. Please bear with me. I am harmless. honest injun'

Frank
    Last edited by effpeetee; Apr 7, 2009, 06:21 AM.
    * Sources (updated: 21.11.2012.
    Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

A virtual machine is like any regular machine. You can install anything in your virtual machine and it won't affect you host (real) OS.

So if you run Windows 7 in VirtualPC on a Vista machine, Windows 7 have no control on your Vista. Windows 7 might have access to shared ressources like pinter or shared directories, but thats all.

If you can't do it for "real" in your host OS, you can't do it in your virtual machine OS...

Comment

Thanks friend,

Rather what I expected, but I did not want to chance it without checking first.

Frank
      Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

Comment

And a feature that I like with Microsoft VirtualPC are undo disks (I'm sure it exists in VMWare andothers...).

If enabled, when you end your VirtualPC session, a question is asked:
        -Save changes made during session
        -Undo changes

This can be usefull to test potentially "dangerous" files (like viruses) or to keep an always "clean" environment...

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolf1 View Post
          And a feature that I like with Microsoft VirtualPC are undo disks (I'm sure it exists in VMWare andothers...).

If enabled, when you end your VirtualPC session, a question is asked:
          -Save changes made during session
          -Undo changes

This can be usefull to test potentially "dangerous" files (like viruses) or to keep an always "clean" environment...
          Yeah there is a similar feature, called snapshots. It works great, you can take a snapshot of the virtual machine, wipe the HD and install a completely different OS and then just roll it back to the latest snapshot and everything is back.

It is useful when testing applications out, you can install it and then rollback and it is like it was never installed.
          OracleGuy

Comment

How do I get the VirtualPC to read my USB memory stick?

Frank

Comment

VirtualPC don't support USB yet I works with mouse and keyboard thats all... VMWare does I think. But VirtualPC is free...

To excahnge data between host OS and VPC, I usually create a shared dir between the two.

Comment

Frank, I assume you can make a "Shared Folder" and map it directly to your USB stick.
                Blog | Twitter
                Useful links: W3C HTML Validator | W3C CSS Validator | HTML 5 Guide
                CF: HTML & CSS Resources/Tutorials Thread | HTML & CSS Posting Rules and Guidelines
                Remember: no link, no code, no help!

Comment

Originally posted by CyanLight View Post
                  Frank, I assume you can make a "Shared Folder" and map it directly to your USB stick.
                  Yes that is the suggested way to get access to your usb stick in VirtualPC. Frank you could try VirtualBox which is similar to VirtualPC but it supports usb drives.
                  ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolf1 View Post
                    VirtualPC don't support USB yet I works with mouse and keyboard thats all... VMWare does I think. But VirtualPC is free...
                    There is a free version of VMWare and as Aero mentioned VirtualBox will work with usb devices and it is free as well.
                    OracleGuy

Comment

Originally posted by oracleguy View Post
                      There is a free version of VMWare and as Aero mentioned VirtualBox will work with usb devices and it is free as well.
                      I'll give VirtualBox a whirl. Thank you all for you help.

edit: There seems to be more than one version available. Any suggestions folks?

Frank.
                      Last edited by effpeetee; Apr 7, 2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

There isn't much to choose from. I doubt you want the open source one which leaves you with the windows versions.

VirtualBox 2.1.4, they have one for 32-bit and 64-bit. It depends on your main OS not the one you are installing so if the Windows 7 you have is 32 bit but your system is 64bit then get the 64bit version.
                        ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

Yes, thank you. VirtualBox worked fine. But is is slow and the mouse pointer routine is a bit irritating, so I have gotten one of my other PC's out of store and I am going to put windows 7 on that. I have learned quite a lot from this exercise, so I have not wasted time.
                          One useful thing I found was that VOPT 8 was able to easily remove my virtual hard drives from the PC just by right clicking and selecting delete.
                          As it is available for 30 days free trial. well worth remembering.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by effpeetee View Post
                            Yes, thank you. VirtualBox worked fine. But is is slow and the mouse pointer routine is a bit irritating, so I have gotten one of my other PC's out of store and I am going to put windows 7 on that. I have learned quite a lot from this exercise, so I have not wasted time.
                            One useful thing I found was that VOPT 8 was able to easily remove my virtual hard drives from the PC just by right clicking and selecting delete.
                            As it is available for 30 days free trial. well worth remembering.

Frank.
                            Did you install the VM guest software inside the virtual machine?
                            OracleGuy

Comment

No, I just installed the main program. I didn't know of any other additions. What were they?

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X