Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter I want more control over my email program! - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want more control over my email program!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolved I want more control over my email program!

As I have plenty of time on my hands, I often change my operating system and generally manage to lose all of my emails and address books.

I need an email program that will let me choose where to put my emails and address book. Preferable on a memory stick, or at least another drive; so that I do not lose them when I recklessly mess about with the system.

Thank you for any assistance.

Foolish Frank

Come back Windows 3.1 - All is forgiven!
    Last edited by effpeetee; Apr 6, 2009, 07:50 AM.
    * Sources (updated: 21.11.2012.
    Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

Portable Thunderbird? Use POP3 to get into Hotmail, if that's what you use.
    Blog | Twitter
    Useful links: W3C HTML Validator | W3C CSS Validator | HTML 5 Guide
    CF: HTML & CSS Resources/Tutorials Thread | HTML & CSS Posting Rules and Guidelines
    Remember: no link, no code, no help!

Comment

Thanks Cyan, but I want to leave the original program on the PC but choose where to put the data, or at least a copy of it, preferably on my second hard drive and or my memory stick.

Trying to copy the Users directory to any where is a pain in the rear.

Frank
      Using Windows 8 Professional. 64bit with HP Photosmart 5510 printer Very useful site here.

Comment

Frank have you thought about a webmail program? does your isp provide one?

I use horde and it is for exactly the same reason as you describe: when my pc OS is re-installed, I do not want to lose any emails. The additional benefit is that I can read them from any pc.

bazz
        "The day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete"! - my late Dad.

Why do some people say "I don't know for sure"? If they don't know for sure then, they don't know!
        Useful MySQL resource
        Useful MySQL link

Comment

Frank have you thought about a webmail program? does your isp provide one?
          Hi bazz, As far as I know my isp does not provide for hotmail. I use British Telecom. All my email addresses are @btinternet.com.

Frank

Comment

All my email addresses are @btinternet.com.
            Create a Gmail account, you'd love it.
            Digitalocean Cloud Hosting (Referral link - get $10 free credit) Fameco

Comment

How about -

[email protected]

Try it and see if it works.

I'll give it a whirl.

Frank
              Last edited by effpeetee; Apr 5, 2009, 09:48 AM.

Comment

How about -

****@gmail.com
                If it's real one, posting it here publicly is considered as suicide attempt (hope you know about spams)
                Digitalocean Cloud Hosting (Referral link - get $10 free credit) Fameco

Comment

Originally posted by abduraooft View Post
                  If it's real one, posting it here publicly is considered as suicide attempt (hope you know about spams)
                  Just a temporary one for test.

Thanks just the same.

Frank

Comment

If your on bt they do offer online mail. the addresses include blah at btopenworld.com and whatever at btinternet as well as others. they are partnered up with yahoo.

bazz
                    "The day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete"! - my late Dad.

Why do some people say "I don't know for sure"? If they don't know for sure then, they don't know!
                    Useful MySQL resource
                    Useful MySQL link

Comment

The computer you rely on for important work should not be the same one that you experiment with operating systems on.
                      Finding out HOW to do something is called research, i.e. keep searching until you find the answer. After you attempt to do something and cannot solve a problem with it yourself, would be when you ask others for help.

Comment

You may want to look into some backup programs. I found this one recently. Haven't tried it but looks promising. It doesn't backup outlook but there are many programs to back up those emails.

http://alancla.110mb.com/blog/mailbrowserbackup/

or a backup tool for mozilla products only you can use this, it backs up your extensions too and other settings.
                        http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

For outlook just do a search for outlook email backup. Then there is genie mail backup but I don't think its free. Its meant for the ms email products.
                        http://www.genie-soft.com/products/g...l/default.html

There is this site that explains how to backup your emails from many clients
                        http://www.argentuma.com/backup/email-backup.html

I agree with this
                        The computer you rely on for important work should not be the same one that you experiment with operating systems on.
                        When possible you should be running your experimental OSs in a virtual system. You can run Windows OSs in VirtualPC or other OSs in VirtualBox. If you want to try something new you can check out portable Ubuntu which is the Ubuntu linux system that runs as application of your Windows OS.

http://lifehacker.com/5195999/portab...inside-windows
                        ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I know that I should not use the main computer for experiments but circumstances do not allow me enough room to set up another system. I have plenty of time to do all that I need, it is just the loss of data that I wish to avoid.

Apart from all that, I still think that I should be allowed to choose where to store my data. I will look at all the sites Aero has given to see if I can save the data easily. That to me, is the next best choice. Also, it gives me opportunities to interact with all you good folk on the forum. Priceless.

Frank

PS. I never seem to have much luck with virtual systems.

Comment

I've been just manually backing up emails and such whenever I reformat...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceramic View Post
                              I've been just manually backing up emails and such whenever I reformat...
                              Thanks to all.

I have settled for using Thunderbird together with MozBackup for the time being.
                              It seems satisfactory. Time will tell.

I am going to give VirtualPC a go to test the new Windows 7.
                              I have not had much luck with virtual systems. Probably a new thread soon!

Frank
                              Last edited by effpeetee; Apr 6, 2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X