Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter PC will not reboot when external USB Seagate hard drive is on - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC will not reboot when external USB Seagate hard drive is on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC will not reboot when external USB Seagate hard drive is on

I have to power off the hard drive before it will reboot, otherwise xp pro will hang on the black screen that lists the drives, memory, etc.

Any idea why?

What model do you have?
    ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

lol, this doesn't surprise me at all. Even now, removing media from the main PC is still a good idea. This includes anything from the antique floppy diskette to the modern USB media and DVD-ROMs.
      PHP Code:
      $hello file_get_contents('hello.txt'); echo $hello
      hello

Comment

Check your BIOS. Then go to Boot Priority (or similair). There must be entered in that list something like Removable Media, clear this and save and reboot.
        Do you Ubuntu?
        Mozilla Firefox!

Comment

I checked the bios and there was an "other device" in the startup sequence. I disabled it and the issue still persists. Anything else I can try?

By the way, this is the drive: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Extern.../dp/B000BGZMY2

Comment

Okay when you restart the system is the device plugged in before you restart? I do believe it says to remove using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on your start menu. I have a similar model but I've never had any of the problems you are having. Almost seems like its trying to boot off of the drive but can't. See if you can get into the boot menu. On a dell system I think its f12, for most other systems its ESC, F1, or F2, sometimes Delete. The hard drive in the system should be the first one to boot.
            ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

Working...
            X