Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options?

Hey,

Is there a way to remove the web address and all that stuff from documents you print online? either as the programmer of the site that the documents are being printed from or as the person printing them?

Im making an online store and for printable order forms that go out with the orders im having issues. Doing it off a webpage would be ideal but it includes the web address etc

I dont think i know enough programming for dyanmic pdfs and .docs so what options are there?
    Kong Dog Toys

Well, you can remove them on the client side via File->Page Setup in many browsers. However, why not create a "printable view" of the order form?
    PHP Code:
    $hello file_get_contents('hello.txt'); echo $hello
    hello

Comment

how lol?
      Kong Dog Toys

Comment

You can't remove them for your users sorry. You can only do it for yourself as rpgfan suggested.
        ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

Originally posted by _Aerospace_Eng_ View Post
          You can't remove them for your users sorry. You can only do it for yourself as rpgfan suggested.
          You are correct as usual.

I apologize for the term I used earlier. By a "printable view" of the form, I meant a printer-friendly version of the page. The content width fits within the page width (or height) and the Web page might span multiple pages. You can still have a simple table and such, but your common printer-friendly version typically is, at most, a table and text, if not only text. If the page orientation must be "Landscape" instead of "Portrait", you should include a message that alerts users to change their page orientation.

Note: that does not mean the URL will be removed from the header/footer. It simply means that your users will be able to see their order without a site banner and other things like that, which are unimportant to a user since they just want to make sure that they have a hard copy of their order in case it is messed up.
          Last edited by rpgfan3233; Oct 13, 2006, 01:33 AM.
          PHP Code:
          hello

Comment

If you generated a PDF and they opened that and printed it, it wouldn't have the URL and such on the header or footer.
            OracleGuy

Comment

Originally posted by oracleguy View Post
              If you generated a PDF and they opened that and printed it, it wouldn't have the URL and such on the header or footer.
              True, but what if a user doesn't have any sort of PDF file viewer? My university still has PCs without any PDF viewer. Considering how old the PDF file format is, I am rather surprised that a school that certifies and credits students with knowledge in the IT field is still not using software that is required to view a growing, common portion of the Web.

Also, there is this point:
              Originally posted by dragonusthei View Post
              I dont think i know enough programming for dyanmic pdfs and .docs so what options are there?
              PHP Code:
              hello

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.

It does not matter if what they print has web addresses, its more of my end so just changing my browser settings would sort that.
                Kong Dog Toys

Comment

i wouldn't give up on the pdf option that quickly...
                  pdf's allow the best control over your layout and are ideal for stuff that needs to be printed according to a fixed template, or that need to be sent to a customer + they look so much more professional.
                  there are plenty of (free) html2pdf converters, so there's probably one that would fit your needs. the additinal benefit is that you can offer the html and pdf version without hardly any extra code.
                  else, you can always ask someone to set it up for you (if you have a few bucks to spend or have something to trade)...
                  Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

I looked into a tutorial about it on zend a few weeks ago but it required my server to have additional stuff, but im on shared hosting.

do you know of any good tutorials for php on dynamic pdf generation?
                    Kong Dog Toys

Comment

i use http://www.ros.co.nz/pdf/ which is quite simple and feature rich. and you can use it on your share hosting since it's just a php class.

but this is for actual dynamic creation of a pdf by adding and defining page-ellements.
                      you can also use a html2pdf conversion tool that will simply convert your existing output into pdf. (well, maybe you'll need to make some minor changes to the html). here's a google http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...tml%20to%20pdf
                      Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Working...
                      X