Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter dynamic menu problem. - CodingForum


No announcement yet.

dynamic menu problem.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dynamic menu problem.

    hey folks,

    Have eventually got the dynamic menu to work, well kind of.

    I am using frontpage 2002, when stored on my machine it works fine, when i publish it, blueyonder, i have the problem.

    When I rollover the mouse of the menu, it quickly flashes up the sub menu then it dissapears. The caption box appears, and if i put the link direct on the main menu it works.

    Why Will the sub menus not stay up??

    Please help i am losing my hair.

    The page if anyone would like to check it is

    This is a developmental page, till i get it working and change the whole developmental site.

    Many thanks


  • #2
    Regarding your use of TopNavBarI:

    First off, this thread should have been posted under the "Dynamic Drive" forum (see above). Just keep going with this thread...do not start a new thread on the same problem. The moderators may soon move this to the DD forum.

    Now, about your problem...

    I took your files, and played around with them a bit. NOTE -- I did NOT upload them for further testing.

    Now, here are a few things I noticed (see bold in code below). I think you may need to have a few extra nulls in place. Also, with no submenus defined for your last two primary menu items, I encountered "undefined" errors. You should probably define these as links. Some ids didn't match quite right. I also REMOVED all "webmasterid" subitem lines of code as they reference the author's example menu -- not yours!

    YOUR CODE (with changes):

    //Top Nav bar script v2- http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/sm/index.htm

    function showToolbar()
    // AddItem(id, text, hint, location, alternativeLocation);
    // AddSubItem(idParent, text, hint, location);

    menu = new Menu();
    menu.addItem("homepageid", "Home", "Home", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home.htm", null);
    menu.addItem("corporateid", "Corporate", "Corporate", null, null);
    menu.addItem("diaryid", "Church Diary", "Church Diary", null, null);
    menu.addItem("searchengineid", "St. Brycedale Training", "St. Brycedale Training", null, null);
    menu.addItem("miscid", "Church History", "Church History", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/church_history/church_history.htm", null);
    menu.addItem("contid", "Contact Us", "Contact Us", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/links/", null);
    menu.addItem("fartid", "Contact Us", "Contact Us", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/links/", null);

    menu.addSubItem("corporateid", "What We Offer", "What We Offer", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/corporate/conferences.htm");
    menu.addSubItem("corporateid", "Where We Are", "Where We Are", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/corporate/directions.htm");

    menu.addSubItem("diaryid", "What's On", "What's On", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/diary/index.htm");
    menu.addSubItem("diaryid", "Prayer Time", "Prayer Time", "http://www.gordonbeattie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/diary/index.htm");
    menu.addSubItem("diaryid", "Tucows", "Tucows", "http://tucows.com/");

    menu.addSubItem("searchengineid", "Yahoo", "Yahoo", "http://www.yahoo.com/");
    menu.addSubItem("searchengineid", "Google", "Google", "http://www.google.com/");
    menu.addSubItem("searchengineid", "Excite", "Excite", "http://www.excite.com");
    menu.addSubItem("searchengineid", "HotBot", "HotBot", "http://www.hotbot.com");

    menu.addSubItem("miscid", "Church History", "Church History", "../church_history/church_history.htm");
    menu.addSubItem("miscid", "RealAudio", "RealAudio", "http://www.realaudio.com/");
    menu.addSubItem("miscid", "MP3.com", "MP3.com", "http://www.mp3.com/");



    I think I've bolded all the parts I changed. You can basically cut-n-paste the above code and replace your menucontext.js file with it. I'd suggest you rename your current file first...just in case you need it for reference, etc.

    Also, I'll warn you that Microsoft FrontPage themes and borders can be a little tricky at times...especially if and when you try to incorporate dynamic HTML inside them. I didn't look that hard at your code, but these may be the cause of your flicker problems!

    If my changes didn't work for you...then I'd assume there are problems with the themes and/or borders (if any).

    I hope this helps get you closer to success.

    P.S. I'd probably know more if I'd personally used this menu, but I only have firsthand experience with TopNavBar II and IV.
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    - Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)


    • #3
      Thanks very much.

      Worked a treat!

      The only problem I had is when i copied the script on to the pags i was publishing it didnt work. However if i saved it as the page i was publishing it was fine.

      Hey it works, thanks very much..

      Even managed to get 3 scripts working on same page.. I scare myself at times.