Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Validating an Email Address

Hi there,

Can someone explain this piece of code to me? I get the general idea here but can you break it down for me as I don't just want to copy and paste it without fully understanding it!

Thank you so much in advance!

Here it is:

/^[A-Z0-9._%-][email protected][A-Z0-9.-]+\.[A-Z]{2,5}$/i

Also,

Can you tell me what this means?

/^\s*$/

Comment

OK, its hard to work out which is the best way to explain in this medium but I'll have a go.

I'll work from left to right.

ok, then;

the / is the first boundary of the regex.
      the ^ means the beginning of your regex manipulation
      the first [] section shows what chars are allowed in the first part of the email address.
      the + means that each of those chars can occur more than once
      the @ symbol represents the @ in the address
      the second [] section shows the chars allowed after the @ symbol and before the .tld
      again, the + means more than one occurence is accepted
      \ means escape the .
      [A-Z] allows for all alphabetical chars for the domain suffix (tld)
      {2,5} means minimum of 2 max of 5 chars in the tld
      $ means the end of your manipulation
      / denotes the end of the regex and
      i means case insensitive

It should be noted that using the ^ and $ means you are checking the complete snippet. if you just use // and no ^ or $, then you are chekcing for a match anywhere, whereas the ^ and $ means that the match has to match the whole thing from start to end. I'm sure there is an easier way to explain that but I hope that helps

the '5' needs to be changed to about 7 since tld's can have more than 5 letters. not sure the max number though. Please note I am not evaluating whther that is in fact a good regex for your purpose. O'Reilly does a good book on the subject (and others) at your fav online bookshop.

ps, are you from Emerald Isle?
      bazz
      Last edited by bazz; Apr 15, 2009, 07:52 PM.
      "The day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete"! - my late Dad.

Why do some people say "I don't know for sure"? If they don't know for sure then, they don't know!
      Useful MySQL resource
      Useful MySQL link

Comment

Not really a JavaScript man, but wouldn't that fail when presented with emails whose issuing website is registered under a third-level domain (e.g. *.co.uk)?
        Blog | Twitter
        Useful links: W3C HTML Validator | W3C CSS Validator | HTML 5 Guide
        CF: HTML & CSS Resources/Tutorials Thread | HTML & CSS Posting Rules and Guidelines
        Remember: no link, no code, no help!

Comment

Originally posted by bazz View Post
          OK, its hard to work out which is the best way to explain in this medium but I'll have a go.

I'll work from left to right.

ok, then;

the / is the first boundary of the regex.
          the ^ means the beginning of your regex manipulation
          the first [] section shows what chars are allowed in the first part of the email address.
          the + means that each of those chars can occur more than once
          the @ symbol represents the @ in the address
          the second [] section shows the chars allowed after the @ symbol and before the .tld
          again, the + means more than one occurence is accepted
          \ means escape the .
          [A-Z] allows for all alphabetical chars for the domain suffix (tld)
          {2,5} means minimum of 2 max of 5 chars in the tld
          $ means the end of your manipulation
          / denotes the end of the regex and
          i means case insensitive

It should be noted that using the ^ and $ means you are checking the complete snippet. if you just use // and no ^ or $, then you are chekcing for a match anywhere, whereas the ^ and $ means that the match has to match the whole thing from start to end. I'm sure there is an easier way to explain that but I hope that helps

the '5' needs to be changed to about 7 since tld's can have more than 5 letters. not sure the max number though. Please note I am not evaluating whther that is in fact a good regex for your purpose. O'Reilly does a good book on the subject (and others) at your fav online bookshop.

ps, are you from Emerald Isle?
          bazz
          Can I save that on a web page for easy reference? I just wanted to ask first in case you wanted to make tutorial page. That's a sweet explanation

Comment

Originally posted by CyanLight View Post
            Not really a JavaScript man, but wouldn't that fail when presented with emails whose issuing website is registered under a third-level domain (e.g. *.co.uk)?
            yeh I think it would.

I doubt that it is a very good regex. I would need to hoke out the O'reilly book but I seem to recall the example they gave is much longer and more difficult to read.

@TinyScript: I don't see a problem with you copying it. No need to attribute it to me either.

bazz

Why do some people say "I don't know for sure"? If they don't know for sure then, they don't know!
            Useful MySQL resource
            Useful MySQL link

Comment

I find the best email regex is:-

if (!(/^([a-z0-9])([\w\.\-\+])+([a-z0-9])\@(([\w\-]?)+\.)+([a-z]{2,4})$/i.test(eMailAddress.value))) {

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems." — Jamie Zawinski.

All the code given in this post has been tested and is intended to address the question asked.
              Unless stated otherwise it is not just a demonstration.

Comment

yeh, Philip, thats more like the O'Reilly one I referred to though I can't place the book.

re. your sig.

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems." — Jamie Zawinski.
                I can relate to that

bazz

Useful MySQL resource
                Useful MySQL link

Comment

Working...
                X