Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter JavaScript help - Splicing Values out of a Chunk of Text - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JavaScript help - Splicing Values out of a Chunk of Text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JavaScript help - Splicing Values out of a Chunk of Text

Okay, I've decided to simplify this question so that I can post it on the web.

Basically, I have retrieved a chunk of text using the innerHTML command. This is what a sample of that text would look like:

Code:
    <li class="inputLabel">Delivery Type:</li><li class="inputType">dropdown</li><li class="valRoutine">3</li><li class="ofFieldset">Packaging | Delivery | Shipping</li><li class="ofSpan">0</li><li class="ifSpan">shipping</li><li class="ifValue">Shipping</li><li class="dropdownValues"><ol id="dD_deliverytype"><li>FOB Our Dock</li><li>FOB Our Dock</li><li>1 Metro Denver Delivery</li><li>1 Metro Denver Delivery</li><li>Shipping</li><li>Shipping</li></ol></li>
    I know that it SHOULD be possible to access each of these <li> tags individually using the DOM - and in fact, I do just that at the beginning of my JS file - grabbing each <li>.innerHTML individually. However, for some reason I cannot use the same technique in the new function I am building later on in the page.

So basically, I have a dilemna that I am having trouble solving. I need to grab the text between the <li class="ifValue"> . . . </li> and <li class="ifSpan"> . . . </li> tags. In other words, if the code above was assigned to a variable as a string, I would need to retrieve the values of:

Code:
    var ifValue = Shipping;
    var ifSpan = shipping;
    Is there some way that I can splice these values out of the text string?
    Last edited by ruggeddesign; Sep 28, 2006, 11:23 AM.

What about something on these lines

PHP Code:
    lists=document.getElementsByTagName("LI")

for(var 
    i=0;i<lists.length;i++){

if(
    lists[i].className=="ifSpan"){
    ifspan=lists[i].innerHTML
    }

if(
    lists[i].className=="ifValue"){
    ifvalue=lists[i].innerHTML
    }

}

alert(ifspan+"\n\n"+ifvalue
    The silent one.

The most dangerous thing in the world is an idea.
    The most dangerous person in the world is the one with an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr J View Post
      What about something on these lines

PHP Code:
      lists=document.getElementsByTagName("LI")

for(var 
      i=0;i<lists.length;i++){

if(
      lists[i].className=="ifSpan"){
      ifspan=lists[i].innerHTML
      }

if(
      lists[i].className=="ifValue"){
      ifvalue=lists[i].innerHTML
      }

}

alert(ifspan+"\n\n"+ifvalue
      Well, I've written code very similar to that (code almost identical to that and other working pieces on the same page that I am trying to fix) but it doesn't work. I think I found out why it won't work but it's much too complicated to go into an explanation here. I found a workaround for my problem - it wasn't ideal because it required the duplication of information in those lists which seems ridiculous to me - but I was able to avoid a ton of stupid Regular Expressions that I don't even know how to write so it's all good.

Either way, thanks for providing an intelligent solution to my problem - even though it just doesn't work on that part of the page . . . which, believe me, is frustrating.

Comment

Working...
      X