Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If server is not responding....

Hello Everyone!

I am wondering if a script such exists, or where I can learn more info on this:

If a person tried to load an index page and the server is not responding, is it possible for the script to search for another html file externally?

Thank you kindly in advance,

mbay

If your server is not responding, how can a script from your site run?
    Glenn
    vBulletin Mods That Rock!

Comment

Lol. Um, sorry about that. Yes, i suppose that is true.

Hmm, i guess i should re-think this one.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

depends what you're doing and how. if, for example, you were using AJAX, you could attempt to call a serverside script. if there was no response, clientside JS could then alert the user. but apart from that, there's really nothing you can do AFAIK.
        *keep it simple (TM)

Comment

Originally posted by jbot
          depends what you're doing and how. if, for example, you were using AJAX, you could attempt to call a serverside script. if there was no response, clientside JS could then alert the user. but apart from that, there's really nothing you can do AFAIK.
          AJAX isn't something I've looked into (yet?), so I may be missing the trick here.
          Otherwise, if the server isn't responding, how will you load the page containing the client-side js which alerts the user?

Or to put it another way… 'what glenngv said'

Alternatively, if I have missed the trick, can you tell me what you had in mind which would work with an unresponsive server? (honest curiosity)
          Why you should validate your code before asking for help...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Posters
            if the server isn't responding, how will you load the page containing the client-side js which alerts the user?
            i was thinking that if the page was already loaded and then tried to communicate back to the server, ie you're running an AJAX script which talks back to the server and it doesn't get a response because the server is down, then the client is still able to communicate that to the user. if, however, the server is already down, then, as Glen pointed out, nothing will work.
            *keep it simple (TM)

Comment

Working...
            X