Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter " and " --> not going into option boxes corrrectly..please advise - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" and " --> not going into option boxes corrrectly..please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " and " --> not going into option boxes corrrectly..please advise

Hello,

I am getting data from the "app layer" and its returning thru a plugin that converts certain characters as their HTML equivalents....such as:

' is coming thru as "

now, I am doing pattern matching on some dropdowns...

so for example, a dropdown value would be:

This " IS " a cool game

but it shows thru the page as:
    This "IS" is a cool game

the problem is, in the javascript arrays I have..I have the encoded versions...but the "text" values for the dropdowns are - This "IS" is a cool game --> so they don't match...PLUS, when I can get the array value to show, it shows in the dropdown as:

This " IS " a cool game

its not HTML-atized as it is onload....weird??????

The html entities you typed must have been rendered by the browser but I saw your point. Can you post some codes? To properly type entities in your post, you must make the & symbol as entity also. i.e. " will display "
    Glenn
    vBulletin Mods That Rock!

Comment

okay...

here is what the select box looks like onLoad..
      keep in mind, that the initial display DOES LOOK correct even the the option.text value has html characters sets....ala..

<select NAME="quotes" onChange="storenameVal(this.options[this.selectedIndex].text);"> <OPTION VALUE="">Quote 1</OPTION>
      <OPTION VALUE="">I &quot;SEE&quot; &amp; hear you </OPTION>
      </select>

in the array it shows..

var quotes = new Array("I &quot;SEE&quot; &amp; hear you")

but when I try to match them when a user selects that option...it doesn't match...
      I take the option TEXT value --> but that is this: I "SEE" & hear you

even though in the code it looks like what is shown above...so the option TEXT is trying to match..

I "SEE" & hear you
      to
      I &quot;SEE&quot; &amp; hear you

and it doesn't work.

SO - how do I translate it out before the match? Is there something like the "encode" method in js for this?

I keep trying to edit this...but my HTML character set for quotes and ampersands are showing up 'normal'.....so?
      Last edited by BrightNail; Feb 26, 2004, 05:03 PM.

Comment

As I said in my previous post, you must encode the ampersand symbol to correctly display html entities.

To correctly display &amp;amp; type &amp;amp;amp;
        and to display &amp;quot; type &amp;amp;quot;

Try editing your post again.
        Glenn
        vBulletin Mods That Rock!

Comment

Working...
        X