This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-sequencial repeated number: PI

I found a mathimatical equation that finds the number PI. Unfortunately It can only find around the first 17 digit depending wat version browser you have. If u r interested in this script please post.
    adash5000

Isn't that what we have the Math.PI constant for?
    liorean <[[email protected]]>
    Articles: RegEx evolt wsabstract , Named Arguments
    Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
    Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

Comment

i know thats y there's Math.PI i just wanted to see if i could find more digits using my equation in JScript.

Sorry if this post annoyed anyone.
      adash5000

Comment

JavaScript is limited by the standard IEEE floating point numbers. They have 32 bit precision (integer representation, in other words) and 64 bit rounded floating point (minus 53 bit NaN values that are bunched together as a single NaN value, but that's irrelevant in the whole).
        Useful Threads: JavaScript Docs & Refs, FAQ - HTML & CSS Docs, FAQ - XML Doc & Refs
        Moz: JavaScript DOM Interfaces MSDN: JScript DHTML KDE: KJS KHTML Opera: Standards

Comment

This thread's in the wrong forum.

liorean: well, there's always my BigDecimal() library...
          "The first step to confirming there is a bug in someone else's work is confirming there are no bugs in your own."
          June 30, 2001
          author, ES-Membrane project (Github Pages site)
          author, Verbosio prototype XML Editor
          author, JavaScript Developer's Dictionary
          https://alexvincent.us/blog

Comment

Re: non-sequencial repeated number: PI

Originally posted by adash5000
            I found a mathimatical equation that finds the number PI. Unfortunately It can only find around the first 17 digit depending wat version browser you have. If u r interested in this script please post.
            Wha?

Pi is FOUND by a formula. The only reason Pi exists is because it is a result of a mathEmatical formula

Pi = C/D

Comment

Circumfrence is found by 2*pi*r, so you need PI to figure out circumfrence in the first place.

Comment

Re: Re: non-sequencial repeated number: PI

Originally posted by MysteryMan
                Wha?

Pi is FOUND by a formula. The only reason Pi exists is because it is a result of a mathematical formula

Pi = C/D
                It pops up in more places than just circles.

The first solution of: -4*ln(i^i)
                Or: sqrt(6*Sum(1/n^2, n=1..Infinity))

and so on.
                jasonkarldavis.com

Comment

as far as i know there is no equation that can find pi....
                  http://www.bluephoenix.uni.cc/

Comment

Originally posted by JAVAEOC
                    Pi is a constant. Constants are not found by formulas, variables are.

Pi is also a ratio constant. The only way to ultimately find Pi is if you have a PERFECT ratio of a diameter and circumference of a circle.

Perfect is impossible, thus finding Pi is impossible.

Besides - one can never "find" a never ending number..............

Comment

it is impossible to find pi useing a formular be cause it is an irational number meaning that it can NOT be expressed by a fraction like C/D

i think

Comment

Yes, one may. One may never represent it in rational number form, however, because it's an irrational number. (And computers in general handles only rational numbers, with a few implementation specific exceptions)

The only way to represent pi in rational form is to use a formulae - or truncating it at a certain number of decimals.

Comment

I just gave you two formulas. Though only the latter is useful for numerically approximating it. The former should be -2*ln(i^i) though, I just realized my mistake.

And it's easy to represent Pi perfectly. Use those equations, or call it 4*Arctan(1) or whatever.

Or you can use digit generation algorithms in other bases... I remember seeing one that generated digits in Pi by converting it to base 16 first.
                          jasonkarldavis.com

Comment

it is impossible to find pi useing a formular be cause it is an irational number meaning that it can NOT be expressed by a fraction like C/D

i think

Not true.

The very definition of Pi is "C/D"

The number Pi is not a creation, it's a discovery. A discovery that all circles have the relationship such that, for circle 1 and circle 2 being any circles=

C1/D1 = C2/D2

Pi is the discovery of this relationship.

If you take a circle with a C and D that you have EXACT (even theoretical) values for, when they are two WHOLE numbers.........you can get Pi to the infinite value, truncated only by whatever device you use to get this value....

Comment

If you take a circle with a C and D that you have EXACT (even theoretical)
                              It is impossible for that to be true cause if you can actually plug in numbers for c and d to get pi then pi would NOT be irrational, but it is

Comment

Working...
                              X