Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound on mouseover for NS

Hi,
    I have not yet been able to find a way to create a sound on a mouseover that works with NS 4 and 6+. IE is no problem. I've tried the script at http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/...oundlink.shtml on several PCs with Netscape and Quicktime - no luck. The most luck so far has been with the applet at http://www.javascriptkit.com/java/java4.shtml but I don't know how to fire the applet with a mouseover. Any tips?

The end result is to have a page where children in a French immersion program can go and by mousing over pictures can hear the item being spoken in French before clicking on the item to select it.

Macs, OTH, are a different story and I've had no luck, with IE 5 and quicktime or NS 4+.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Michael

Seeing I've had a number of views, but no replies, should I assume that there is no easy answer, or that I am missing something too obvious for words?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Michael

Comment

Here's an answer.

Since NS has changed it's codec, dropped mastersound, can't play .wav's unless configged...and with realaudioorwhateveritsnameisnow changing thier codec and name every 18 months, I've never been able to get NS to make a sound...

...until I used flash.
      Zoobie or not Zoobie...That is the problem.
      <body onUnload="flush( ! )">

Comment

Thanks alot. Anywhere I could read up on some simple flash options?
        Thanks

Comment

Well, I actually used swish...a simplified version of flash. As the sales pitch goes, it plays in over 95% of computers...and if the user doesn't have the plugin, it's a quick 2 minute download with smooth auto install and auto play. This is the only complete cross-browser solution I've ever found...but it works well with teeny file sizes for quick d/l. You'll end up making your buttons in flash/swish triggering the sound on mouseover or onclick. Dunno about the options...but there's plenty of help here.
          Zoobie or not Zoobie...That is the problem.
          <body onUnload="flush( ! )">

Comment

Thanks alot!!
            Michael

Comment

Working...
            X