Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter hoped i can do it with PHP but need javascript- passing a variable - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hoped i can do it with PHP but need javascript- passing a variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoped i can do it with PHP but need javascript- passing a variable

Hello,

i need to figure out a way to pass the variable
    $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERRER'] to another page.

Here's my situation without javascript. I could pass that variable very easy if i do target:_blank with my link. However, i need to set the widht and height of the new window, so i need javascript. However, with that, my

PHP Code:

<?php echo $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'?>
    wont pass. its like i have to make a choice: do target:_blank and pass the variable or do a open browser window javascript without the variable passing?

Can i have both

(i dont know much about javascript but if $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] means the same, great, if not, in php that gives you the url of the page that you came in from)

thank you in advance

Javascript can access the opening window if the current window was opened via window.open().

in the popup

Code:
    alert( window.opener.location.href );
    My Site | fValidate | My Brainbench | MSDN | Gecko | xBrowser DOM | PHP | Ars | PVP
    “Minds are like parachutes. They don't work unless they are open”
    “Maturity is simply knowing when to not be immature”

Comment

i dont want to sound like an idiot but i know almost nothing of javascript so if i copy/paste the code u gave me

alert( window.opener.location.href );

i have to change location to _blank and href to the new window?

anything else?

Comment

Ok, let's back up. In a normal page hop, the HTML headers include a referrer, as you mention grabbing with PHP
        Code:
        +---+      +---+
        | 1 | -+-> | 2 |
        +---+  |   +---+
               |
        referrer header is passed
        Now, when we use window.open to create a new window, the referrer header isn't passed.
        Code:
        +---+      +---+
        | 1 | -+-> | 2 |
        +---+  |   +---+
               |
        referrer header is NOT passed
        In this scenario, Page 1 is the opener of Page 2. So, in the HTML for Page 2, we can reference Page 1 (and all it's properties) with javascript. To get the URL of Page 1, for example:
        Code:
        <script type="text/javascript">
            var page1url = window.opener.location.href;
        </script>
        Understand better?
        My Site | fValidate | My Brainbench | MSDN | Gecko | xBrowser DOM | PHP | Ars | PVP

Comment

ok i understand, so i got to put the code in page 2, as for the location, i put what? _blank? and href is the url of page 1?......and that code, i just put it in the header and then i have my normal javascript open browser window script in page 1?

Comment

Well, if you're opening the link with javascript - the target attribute is moot.

And yes, your "open browser javascript" goes in Page 1

Comment

ok, so i dont but target, what do i put for location? oh and i forgot, the href could be many things, something like this mysite.com/name.php?name=myname (everything up until name=, stays the same, but after the url is going to change, what do i do in this case?
              Last edited by grudz; Feb 16, 2004, 10:44 AM.

Comment

if put in page 2 this gets the url written in address bar of page1
                there is nothing that should be replaced.

window.opener.location.href;

Comment

oh....ok....that makes sense. One last question though (i hope) because it still doesnt work. this is my code in the first page

function MM_openBrWindow(theURL,winName,features) { //v2.0
                  window.open(theURL,winName,features);
                  }

so that means instead that my code for page 2 has to be

var MM_openBrWindow = window.opener.location.href;
                  </script>

??? is that correct

Comment

Ya, but I wouldn't use MM_openBrWindow as the variable choice - choose something semantic.
                    Code:
                    var openerURL = window.opener.location.href;
                    Do you have this online someplace? That would make debugging MUCH easier.

Comment

yeah heres the link

http://www.mtl-baseline.com/establis...lub%20Crescent

click on the "email to friend", the text box to the left of the "submit" button has to have the url that of the first page

thanx

Comment

Looks fine to me. However, you capture the value of the opener's URL, but you don't do anything with it.
                        Code:
                            onload = function()
                            {
                                var page1url = window.opener.location.href;
                                document.forms['emailfriend'].elements['referer'].value = page1url;
                            }    
                        </script>
                        Were you just expecting it to magically happen for you?

Comment

no when the user clicks submit, it goes to another php script that sends the email, that works fine......but when u went on it, did u see the link in the textbox next to the submit button, cuz i dont

Comment

k i got it....i changed the name of the script to page1url.....thanx....i really appreciate all the help

Comment

Working...
                            X