Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Help with coding assignment! How to stop my if else statement so it only runs once. - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with coding assignment! How to stop my if else statement so it only runs once.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with coding assignment! How to stop my if else statement so it only runs once.

Hello, I need help with how to make my code's if else statement to only run once and I was wondering if I followed all the instructions that were asked for this assignment. Also, i may have some errors or placement issues. I am a beginner javascript user as I never used the program before this. The instructions are below as followed:

Run an if/else statement to see if age is less than 60, then display alerts depending on the result
    Push a third question to the questions array
    Push the corresponding array of answers to the answers array
    Add if and else if statements to the score-checking to increment the score at different levels for each answer: 3 points, 2 points, or 1 point depending on the user’s choice. These should be implemented for all three questions. Try to use a for loop to cycle through all the questions and answers, and consider using the index in the array for the scoring system.
    Add ‘<br>Score: ‘ plus the user’s score to their paragraph (id=’myParagraph’) by using document.getElementById to change the innerHTML
    Add an additional prompt asking the user to calculate the results of a basic math question
    Increment the user’s score by 5 if their answer to the math question is equal to the results of the same math question as an expression: make sure the equation is part of your if statement.

Code:
    <!doctype html>
    <html>
    <head>
    	<title>Quiz</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    		<br id="myScore"> <p id="myParagraph">A paragraph!</p></br>
    </body>
    <script>
    	var question = ['What is your quest?','What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?','What planet\'s moon can more liquid water than all of Earth\'s oceans?'];
    	var score = 0;
    	var answers = [['To seek the grail','I don\'t know that','To be in Monty Python'],['African or European?','92','24'],['Europa','Titan','Pandora']];
    		console.log(answers);
    		console.log(answers[1][0]);
    	var name = prompt('What is your name?');
    	//alert('A message;);
    	document.getElementById('myParagraph').innerHTML = 'Hello ' + name + '!';
    	document.getElementById('myScore').innerHTML = 'You scored ' + score + 'points!';	
    		console.log(typeof name);
    	var age = prompt('How old are you?');
    		console.log(typeof age);
    		age = Number(age);
    		console.log(typeof age);
    			if (age < 60) {
    		alert(age);	
    	}
    		for (var i=0; i<=age; i++) {
    		document.write(i);
    		document.write(' ');
    	}

var math = prompt('What is 16+2-1*3=?');
    	console.log(typeof math);
    		math = Number(math);
    	if (math === 15) {
    		alert(math);
    	}else{
    		alert('You are incorrect');
    	}
    	for (var j=0; j<=math; i+5) {
    		document.write(j);
    		document.write(' ');
    	}
    	var guess = prompt(question[0] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers[0][0] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers [0][1] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers[0][2]);
    	if (guess === answers[0][0]) { 
    		score += 3;
    		console.log(score + ' ' + 'points earned!');

} else if(guess === answers[0][1]) {
    		score += 2;

} else if(guess === answers[0][2]) {
    		score += 1;
    	}

var guess = prompt(question[1] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers[1][0] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers [1][1] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers[1][2]);
    	if (guess === answers[1][0]) { 
    		score += 1;

}else if(guess === answers[1][1]) {
    		score += 2;

}else if(guess === answers[1][2]) {
    		score += 3;
    	}

var guess = prompt(question[2] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers[2][0] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers [2][1] + '\n\u2022 ' + answers[2][2]);
    	if (guess === answers[2][0]) { 
    		score += 3;

}else if(guess === answers[2][1]) {
    		score += 2;

}else if(guess === answers[2][2]) {
    		score += 1;
    	}

</script>	
    </html>
    Attached Files

The script needs to be just before the </body> tag not after. Only the </html> tag is allowed after.

The code needs to be inside a function triggered from the HTML.

You can't use document.write in proper JavaScript (it was used in Netscape 4 and earlier that didn't allow JavaScript to interact with HTML).

Don't mix debugging calls - either use the new console.log() or the historic alert() and prompt() but not both.
    Stephen
    Learn Modern JavaScript - http://javascriptexample.net/
    Helping others to solve their computer problem at http://www.felgall.com/

Don't forget to start your JavaScript code with "use strict"; which makes it easier to find errors in your code.

Comment

Working...
    X