Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography

I've recently started developing an application for a family album and I'm trying to find an automated method of idenitfying people on photographs then applying a class so that a hover data box is applied which contains data about that person.

Any ideas?

What do you mean by "an automated method of identifying people on photographs"? Surely you know who they are. Will there be only one person per photo? If so, all photos of "John" will call up a tooltip or hover data box relating to "John", all photos of "Bill" will call up a tooltip or hover data box relating to "Bill", and so on.

All the code given in this post has been tested and is intended to address the question asked.
    Unless stated otherwise it is not just a demonstration.

Comment

Originally posted by J_Coder View Post
      I've recently started developing an application for a family album and I'm trying to find an automated method of idenitfying people on photographs
      That requires an image map generator.
      then applying a class so that a hover data box is applied which contains data about that person.
      Having generated the map, you need a tooltip script to work with it.

Comment

Originally posted by randomuser773 View Post
        That requires an image map generator.Having generated the map, you need a tooltip script to work with it.
        I may be a little thick, but I do not see how that will identify people as "John" or "Bill".

If you mean a group photograph involving several persons where the user can mouseover "John" or "Bill" and the tooltip then contains data about that person, then an image map will work although if done by hand that tends to rely on simple geometrical shapes/polygons. In other words, a rectangle surrounding John's face etc. Otherwise the defining the coordinates can become very lengthy and tedious.

See also:-

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials...le.php/3479761

All the code given in this post has been tested and is intended to address the question asked.

Comment

The data is stored in a database, once a photo is uploaded the program would "map" each person on that photo, then ask you to submit some basic info about that person, which would then offer a "suggestion" tooltip depending on the criteria match.

I've worked out a few methods to do this, i'm just trying to see if anyone has any ideas for a more optimal way.

I don't want to have to manually manage each image, the mapping should be dynamic, there are other aspects of the functionality, such as, if the persons face matches that of an image already stored on the data server, then it will automatically match up the details, if it is a new submission, then obviously, various details would need to be entered.

Comment

Far byond the capabilities of Javascript.

JavaScript is purely a client-side language, and unless used with an Ajax call has no capability to read from or write to a file (except a cookie), communicate with the server, access a database or the client's operating system, or alter the default behaviour of the browser.

Comment

you could do this in firefox, but that's it that i know of.
              you would use the canvas tag, and the getImageData method to grab an array of pixels.
              you could then detect the edges, find pupils, etc to map out the faces.
              For light-skinned people's faces especially, the red channel provides far more contrast than the RGB composite.
              You can check out the image editor link in my signature, especially the filters, for an example of some of the image processing capabilities afforded by firefox.
              It's quite complicated though, and perhaps not worth the investment, though i do think it's a cool idea.

I would do this on the server somehow, so that IE and safari users can use the capability...
              Last edited by rnd me; Apr 9, 2009, 04:04 AM.
              Create, Share, and Debug HTML pages and snippets with a cool new web app I helped create: pagedemos.com

Comment

Working...
              X