Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter In need of JavaScript and interaction with a MySQL database... - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In need of JavaScript and interaction with a MySQL database...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of JavaScript and interaction with a MySQL database...

I've got a little script that takes a set of array values and displays these values in a box on a website. It's basically a news ticker with fade-in and fade-out capabilities. Well, my boss wants me to use this to pull some customer testimonials from a MySQL database and display them instead of news items.

Currently the array and the corresponding news items are part of the script so it works flawlessly.

Is there a way either using just JavaScript or both JavaScript and PHP that I can pull the customer testimonials from the MySQL database and populate the JavaScript array so that they display instead?

Here's the website I'm working on http://www.oasisgamingusa.com/testlayout/index.php

The JavaScript is part of the header section so you should be able to view the source to see what it looks like.

Thanks

No, you can't access the database using JavaScript.

You could use PHP to echo all of the values from your database into a series of <ul> elements on the page. Then hide these elements with JavaScript so that your users don't see them. From here, you could use JavaScript to read the contents of the <ul> element and assemble the values into an array that you format properly for your script to work with.

Do you need more help with this?

Comment

Why not just use php to build a javascript array. The same as you do currently. Just rather than hardcoding it, it pulls from the database.
      Helping to build a bigger box. - Adam Matthews

Comment

How do you build a javascript array with PHP out of curiosity?

Comment

Well, I don't code in php, but I would assume you could do something similar as to what I'd do in ASP:

Code:
          <script type="text/javascript">
          var some_data=new Array();
          <%
             For i=0 To rs.RecordCount
          %>
                 some_data[<%=i%>]="<%=rs.Fields("somedata")%>";
          <%
             rs.MoveNext
             Next
          %>
          </script>
          Last edited by Basscyst; Oct 10, 2006, 07:51 PM.
          Helping to build a bigger box. - Adam Matthews

Comment

Working...
          X